Sleeper WIP

Thread: Sleeper WIP

Default Sleeper WIP

Hello,

I am a brand new Cool Mini or Not user, but long time lurker, and I whish to improve my painting skills.
    Here is my latest project, and I would love to have some advices on it.
    Please, if you see any mistake or things that could be improved (or things that are completely wrong and that I should change in the futur), let me know !
    Name:  Azira_right_far.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  11.8 KB
    Name:  Azira_front.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  12.7 KB
    Name:  Azira_left_far.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  11.9 KB

Have a good day !
    Last edited by Sleeper; 05-22-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Welcome to the forums @Sleeper!

OSL isn't something really simple to achieve, and yet you did a really good job on this mini for that I can tell.
    I'm looking forward to see your next projects.

Blog Entries

Welcome! Nice first mini, it is very strong. I think that you could probably tone down the extreme white highlights on the top of the shield and the ponytail(?). The don’t have an obvious source and overpower the main light effect of the lava, and they also draw a lot of attention to parts of the mini that don’t have a ton of interest on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Welcome to the forums @Sleeper!

OSL isn't something really simple to achieve, and yet you did a really good job on this mini for that I can tell.
    I'm looking forward to see your next projects.
    Merci l'ami !

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Welcome! Nice first mini, it is very strong. I think that you could probably tone down the extreme white highlights on the top of the shield and the ponytail(?). The don’t have an obvious source and overpower the main light effect of the lava, and they also draw a lot of attention to parts of the mini that don’t have a ton of interest on their own.
    Thanks a lot, that's some great feedback ! Now that you say it, it is so much obvious !
    I'll tone them down and post the result !
    I also have had the following comments from a friend :
    - the light effect of the lava on the right arm should be a bit brighter
    - some texture on the rock would be nice, it is quite flat at the moment

Would you agree with him ?
    Last edited by Sleeper; 05-22-2020 at 08:20 AM. Reason: multiple quote

Blog Entries

With regard to your friend's advice, I would probably go in and brighten up the forearm a bit, sort of leading our eye down to the sword, which is a secondary focal point. I might also boost the red OSL on the face and tone it down a little on the shoulder. Even though that breaks reality a little, I would see what I could get away with in order to put greater focus on the face.
    As far as the rocks, I think they look fairly good. I might do a little orange edge highlight along that front lip to define the different layers & edges of the exposed rocks, and I might glaze some color (warm browns?) to differentiate it a little from the cold side of the armor. From what I can see they look pretty similar.
    All that said, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to call this nice piece finished and apply some of this advice on the next one. 100% your choice.

Thanks a lot for all this insight, I deeply appreciate it. I especially like your suggestion to do some edge highlight on the rocks, I think I'll go through with it.
    In any case, I will make some adjustements and post updated pictures as soon as possible !

I can't see any mistakes but thats because you are a much better painter than I! The OSL is incredible well done.

Quote Originally Posted by CPTDanielSan View Post
    I can't see any mistakes but thats because you are a much better painter than I! The OSL is incredible well done.
    Thanks a lot for the praise, it is much appreciated.

Here is the updated paint. It tried some edge highlight, but it wasn't very pleasing, so I tuned it a bit down. I know changes are very subtle, but I think it gives a little push in a better direction.

By the way, the forum keeps reducing the size of the picture. How can I post full size picture? (already have double clicked on the picture and selected "full size", but it still reduce it...)
    Last edited by Sleeper; 05-24-2020 at 04:17 AM.

Use an external hosting service like Imgur.
    Plus I believe the nb of pictures you can upload is shared between the gallery and the forum.

Thanks, I updated my previous post with your advice !

Your OSL is very good, I like the combination with NMM.

Really nice work and I think that lava looks great!

That looks really nice! As the others have said, your OSL is on point! OSL is next on my list to get my head "wrapped around".

WIP: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ramblings-spot
    Blog: http://blog.coolminiornot.com/blog.p...6-Flaming-Tiki
    “A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
    Leonardo da Vinci