Hello from an old timer

Thread: Hello from an old timer

Default Hello from an old timer

Hi folks, it's been almost 10 years since I last posted here, been lurking around the past couple of days, nice to see a few of the old names, Dragonsreach, supervike, Ritual, Avelorn .

Seems a lot quieter than the old days, but I guess social media has taken its toll and people don't use forums as much these days.

Been re-populating my gallery with images that had disappeared over the years and adding a few older miniatures that I'd never gotten around to uploading, it's unlikely there will be many new photos, having a 2 year old around the house severely limits time for hobbies, think I'll stick around though, maybe in a few years I'll be able to paint something.

Any other old timers want to say hi?

Cheers - Rab

It's very quiet here these days.

Hi squidders.

Yeah, the painting and photography forums still seem well populated, but I suppose people get their chat and general nonsense on social media these days, miss the camaraderie and laughs I used to get on here, but that's life.

Need to find some time and get painting again.

Welcome to the
    Hotel California
    you can check out but you can never leave.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 06-03-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Hey Mike.

As long as there's pink champagne on ice, I don't mind.

Hey! Nice to see you back! I think Facebook groups are really where the discussions happen mostly right now (and Instagram for showing your work). But it's unfortunate as while knowledge is abound (lots of current and ex GW people answering stuff for example) the knowledge gets buried after just a few days and yeah, Facebook is what it is as well.

I hate Instagram for its 1080x1080 picture size... it's too low for checking out miniatures properly.

I'm off Facebook at the moment - it was getting a bit toxic but I know I'm missing out on a lot of great stuff there too.

Hello Rab, nice to meet you

Quote Originally Posted by Shypa View Post
    Hello Rab, nice to meet you
    Likewise Shypa, welcome to the forums, although you seem to have been lurking for a few years judging by your joining date.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    Hey! Nice to see you back! I think Facebook groups are really where the discussions happen mostly right now (and Instagram for showing your work). But it's unfortunate as while knowledge is abound (lots of current and ex GW people answering stuff for example) the knowledge gets buried after just a few days and yeah, Facebook is what it is as well.
    Hi Avelorn, nice to be back.

Yeah Facebook doesn't seem ideal for this type of thing but I guess it's convenient, all your interests in one place, always on your phone. I quit Facebook years ago when I realised that most people, myself included, didn't really post much of interest, too many photos of holiday locations and food for me

Quote Originally Posted by Rab View Post
    Hi Avelorn, nice to be back.

Yeah Facebook doesn't seem ideal for this type of thing but I guess it's convenient, all your interests in one place, always on your phone. I quit Facebook years ago when I realised that most people, myself included, didn't really post much of interest, too many photos of holiday locations and food for me
    That's the thing though my feed now is mainly miniatures as that's the groups I am in and that's what I engage with. So compared with a few years back I do get much more from it. However there is still a lot to be annoyed with on Facebook for sure. I just wish we would compile the info you get through facebook and put it somewhere else. I don't know how many times for example that I've read comparisons between "Coat D'arm" old Citadel paint and the WarColours Nostalgia 88'

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    That's the thing though my feed now is mainly miniatures as that's the groups I am in and that's what I engage with. So compared with a few years back I do get much more from it. However there is still a lot to be annoyed with on Facebook for sure. I just wish we would compile the info you get through facebook and put it somewhere else. I don't know how many times for example that I've read comparisons between "Coat D'arm" old Citadel paint and the WarColours Nostalgia 88'
    I might need to rejoin Facebook, I hadn't even heard of WarColours and now I want the Monster paint set, I wonder if they've accurately replicated the inability of the lighter shades to cover without at least 4 coats, nostalgia notwithstanding, painting anything red, yellow or orange with the old Citadel paints was an exercise in frustration.

I did once get a pot of Blood Red that covered smoothly in one coat, I hoarded it for years and when it finally ran out I was heartbroken, I think paints are a lot more consistent these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rab View Post
    I might need to rejoin Facebook, I hadn't even heard of WarColours and now I want the Monster paint set, I wonder if they've accurately replicated the inability of the lighter shades to cover without at least 4 coats, nostalgia notwithstanding, painting anything red, yellow or orange with the old Citadel paints was an exercise in frustration.

I did once get a pot of Blood Red that covered smoothly in one coat, I hoarded it for years and when it finally ran out I was heartbroken, I think paints are a lot more consistent these days.
    Yeah, I actually use P3 when I want that more old school satin look. Smells similar and same manufacturer (HMG) but both good coverage and good for blending. The one I still haven't found a good replacement for was the hex-pot made by Collart. Lovely paint even if they did dry out too fast with even when they updated the pot.

Consistency is still a problem in some brands, most notably Vallejo. But haven't heard much complaints with the new Citadels in that respect.

Albert Moreto Font posted this comparison of Vallejo basic skin tone through the years

Name:  98845152_10163673051740333_279928277382987776_n.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  60.3 KB

Hiya Rab!

I miss the good old days of the forums and sharing our projects with one another. It always had the vibe of an art class. Facebook, while ubiquitous to everyone, just seems like a poor substitute and conversations get drowned out just from sheer volume. I'm in a few Facebook groups, mostly with 'old school' minis.

I hadn't heard of these WarColours Nostalgia 88' things either....although I loved those paint sets back in the day. I gotta check it out.

Hi Vike.

It's becoming a regular old timer reunion in here.
    Looks like I'll have to sign up on Facebook again if only to get some more minis chat.

As for old paints, believe it or not, I still have titillating pink, bestial brown, hobgoblin orange, enchanted blue, electric blue, shining gold, chainmail and mithril silver from my original paint sets.
    They must be over 30 years old and still usable, unlike myself.