Dance with Dragons

Thread: Dance with Dragons

Default Dance with Dragons

What happens if unit with Objective destroys another unit with objective?

If a unit holding an Objective token fails a Panic Test, or is
    destroyed, 1 enemy unit (chosen by the opponent) that it is
    engaged with claims token.

A unit may only control 1 Objective token at any time.

If a unit controlling an Objective token ends a move over another
    token, their opponent places that Objective token anywhere
    within 2’’ of the unit’s tray, so long as the token is not over
    Impassible Terrain or another unit’s tray.

But no instructions what to do if unit gains Objectives by other means.

I think that this situation should be added to future FAQs

A unit may only control 1 Objective token at any time. If a unit controlling an Objective token ends a move over another token, their opponent places that Objective token anywhere within 2’’ of the unit’s tray, so long as the token is not over Impassible Terrain or another unit’s tray.
    If a unit holding an Objective token fails a P a n i c Te s t, or is destroyed, 1 enemy unit (chosen by the opponent) that it is engaged with claims token. If there was no enemy engaged with that unit, your opponent places the token anywhere within 2’’ of the unit’s tray, so long as the token is not over Impassible Terrain or another unit’s tray.

I agree that there is slight errata needed in the rules as written, as this part is problematic: "ends a move over another token". In the scenario you describe, it is not a move that causes this situation, but the destruction. However, this part is really clear "A unit may only control 1 Objective token at any time.". So I assume the part about moving should be re-formatted to contain all means of gaining the token, e.g. " If a unit controlling an Objective token would gain another token".

So that means I would interpret this as following:
    - If your Unit with Objective is the only Unit engaged with the destroyed (objective holding) Unit, you would have to by rules make it claim that second objective.
    - Then as it already has Objective token, your opponent would follow the rule about placing that Objective token anywhere within 2" of your Unit's tray (that would have had two in this scenario).

But as the rule book is written the way it is written, there is another interpretation:
    - If your Unit with Objective is the only Unit engaged with the destroyed (objective holding) Unit, you do not have legal targets to place the Objective, as unit may only have one.
    - Then you would follow the part "If there was no [legal] enemy engaged with that unit" part of the rule, and thus the token would be placed anywhere within 2’’ of the destroyed unit’s tray (by you).

So somewhat big difference, is it dropped within 2" from the attackers tray (decided by the attackers opponent), or from the destroyed Units tray (decided by attacker).

I agree, clarification would be needed to ensure there is only one interpretation, instead of two.
    Personally I'm vouching for the first option, you just read the "ends a move over" to mean "gains".