Toxicant WIPs - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toxicant WIPs

dear Dexter, thank you for your reply and the tips.

I indeed also noticed that the 4 undead are indeed different colors. which makes things more confusing and hard. but I am not giving up.

contrast is indeed a problem for me, my models tend to look very bland. I don't know how to push and create contrast. I tried to use washes with oil paints lately to force more dark contrast but then there is still missing proper highlighting.

the way I use to paint it (and that is most likely where it goes wrong) is that I have my model primed. I glaze/ink the base color with glaze medium to create highlights. then I try to tint that color with another glaze color, I then gloss clear the model and apply a dark oil wash and remove most oil paint with a qtip and mineral spirits. than I matte coat the model.

I tried to do it with a propper solid basecoar color, but there it already gets wrong, the paint is too thick and fills up details, or it is too thin and creates coffeestain spots in the color. from then when I wash it I dont know how to build up colors and where to apply the highlights. I tried drybrushing but its hard to do that on a small mini, and I dont like the chalky effect it gives and it also creates a weird textured layer on the paint. I dont know how to highlight with a brush or where to place the highlights or what colors to use. it all makes my head spin

Thank you for helping me decide what to paint today. Skellies it it. Nice collection you have of them. I really like Redcap...I’ve always wanted that figure but it’s either not in stock when I have the cash and available when I don’t.

thank you Bullfrog have fun with painting skellies yeah I really love that model range from Redcap , amazing models, I really want the one with the keys on his back. I really had to have this one, got it from my dear friend as a present, best gift ever. hope you will get him soon as well he is a joy to paint.

I agree with some of the previous posters in stating that you definitely have a firm grasp on what it is that you're going for even if you repetitively question your approach. This is more than normal, but healthy. It is part of a longer process of your coming to understand your own style and vision. I am speaking more broadly in this respect, because I am not myself an experienced painter.

I really like some of the work that you've done so far, model wise. A lot of what you just need to do is what others have already emphasized: using contrast to create visual interest. Many are hesitant to create higlight layers on their models because they equate highlights with a kind hyper-realistic effect, or, in layman's terms, an over-emphasis of light and dark. In larger scale painting this is totally true - but in 32mm scale models, such as Warhammer and the like, more intense highlights and shadows actually create realism, they don't take away from it (I apologize if you already know this or someone else has stated it).

However, there are several methods to creating contrast, and this is what I struggled with learning when I first began (I paint Nurgle models, so I was also going for a very "dirty" look), because many people swear by a method once they find that it works for them. So I decided to look at other people's miniatures themselves and find the closest, most analogous look to what I saw in my head. Other than simply randomly experimenting on unpainted models, this is the best way to get to the method that you want to use, IMO. First you find the model that looks along the lines of what you imagine yours looking like when you're done, then you see about how it might be painted. It doesn't have to be the exact model you are looking for, just kind of in the right ballpark, or have a part of it painted the way you want. If there exists no real method that you can find on that video, post, or whatever, than you can do two things: either find a how-to video that demonstrates a similar effect, or simply experiment on a model - or both. But that doesn't mean just slapping paint on randomly, obv. I mean, you could do that, but its a lot of stabbing in the dark when already aiming for a particular effect. For me, I just decided to paint the model more slowly and deliberately than I normally would, because I really had to mix up diff paints on my palette, and think about how I was going to achieve the effect on the model. Step, by step, by step.

If you are looking for an unconventional method for creating contrast in a very dark, gritty way, I recommend looking up Zatcaskagoon Miniatures on youtube (I hope its okay to recommend youtube channels on the forum). He has an interesting approach to creating a "grimdark effect" on models. He also makes a lot of use of oil and enamel paints and washes.
    Last edited by Fligg; 09-17-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Heya Fligg,

thank you for your kind and supporting words, I really appreciate them.

I am familiar with Zatcaskagoon, also joined his website. and am dabbing my toes into his techniques and tips.

I am uses as many to drybrushing. and I really dont know how to properly highlight normaly. I don't even know how to apply highlights with a normal brush and where. I am familiar with zenithal and all, but it doesnt click with me somehow.
    I am used to the idea of highlighting the upper parts and shades in the recesses, I know it doesnt work that way, but as said I dont know how to approach it otherwise. because I dont know how to get soft blends, layering, feathering, stipling. I really feel like a monkey with a machine gun so to speak. sometimes there are so many folds and small details that I dont know how to highlights those with a brush or even the tiniest brush in the world. it's frustrating because there doesnt seem to be an "easy" way, which blows my mind because some people paint like 2 years or something and get amazing results, I just dont understand.

I just wish I had the means of having a real teacher so to speak. but those days seem to be gone.

anyway I will of course take your tips and make the best out of it, and try to have fun and enjoy the hobby , again thank you

Thanks for responding so kindly!

I honestly really like drybrushing. In fact, it can give a short of effect that regular blending and highlights don't easily give. And I think that shows on your models, even smaller ones like the skeleton horde.

Another wonderful learning resource on Youtube is a guy named Vince Vinturella. His "Hobby Cheating" Series (over 250 videos in the series from novice to more intermediate) has been the greatest source of visual demonstration and communicating method for me. I highly recommend him. I'm almost certain that there are several videos in that series on all the techniques you've named. Incidentally, he has also toured around the world giving in-person classes. I'm not sure if he still does, but its worth looking into.

I would also ask if you work with any kind of magnification. Having a good light and a decent power magnification tool can make a gigantic difference when trying to negotiate those smaller details on models, like highlights and glazing. I've seen guys at my local hobby store paint without both of these, and it just blows my mind that they can do that. I simply cannot, and perhaps you are the same way.

Finally, I would also suggest getting some "practice" models. Something inexpensive, perhaps second-hand, or even just leftover bits that you have. It's much less intimidating for learning those kinds of techniques.

Just know that there shouldn't be any pressure on yourself, because you are clearly already a talented painter with the techniques you already use. Your models are proof of that.

Hello Fligg,

thank you again for your reply and tips.

I know Vince's channel. and there are some good tips, but for me it's often hard to see what he does. bad camera or set up, I just often can't really see what he does. and often if I do the exact same thing as he does I get a way different result or it doesn't work at all. I really want to like his channel, I really do. and I am sure it works for many people, but I have tons of trouble with his tutorials alais.

I can't afford taking classes. I am long term ill and sick at home and get some welfare money each week to get some groceries. the models and paints I get from friends, who try to help me cope in that way.

but yeah I still believe the teacher concept is perfect in a way. let's say you have a master woodworker and he takes in a student and teaches him how to properly sand and work wood. that will give massive different results then going to a hardware store and getting goods there and tips from the dude behind the counter so to speak. and I can't shake the feeling that a lot of videos and tutorials are just for clicks and getting in subs and patreons, or sell paints and the like in a sponsoring way.

so I really have to look very hard to find something that would be really helpful, and that takes a lot of time and energy, and really destroys a lot of the fun for me which one should have doing this hobby.

but not giving up yet, maybe one day it will work and all come together

Toxicant,

I think I understand your dilemma a bit better now. I wouldn't rush something like highlights in your situation, because your models are all really good. Like any tool, doing something like highlights and shadows is all dependent on the painter, and whether or not he/she finds them necessary or useful. In your case they seem more like something that might be a nice addition at some point, but are not entirely necessary for delivering results.

That being said, for if/when you do broach the issue again: The analogous example you give with the woodworking communicates to me that the issue is that of finding technique. Perhaps some of the members of this forum (myself included), would be able to help with photos or short videos to illustrate specific technique. This may not solve your whole problem (as you said, it is difficult to replace in-person learning), but it may at least alleviate the issue of understanding how the hands move, and body is positioned, when trying to execute a technique which is more precise. I'll see if perhaps I can whip something up in the future that might be of use in this regard.

I'll check in some more on your progress!