Coming back to the forums after a break.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming back to the forums after a break.

Default Coming back to the forums after a break.

So i decided to pick up the brushes again today and to come back to the forums.

I am starting this project with no expectations what so ever, no pressure to perform. Just trying to enjoy the hobby. Something i was incapable to do for the past 5 years.

This model is Aradia from Pedro Fernandez work. My pallet will stay on the hot side, i will flirt only towards the cold side and only hints of it.

Name:  20200918_105943.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  299.2 KB

Welcome back mate, hope your well
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Welcome back mate, hope your well
    Thank you ten! You are always a gentleman!

Small update:

Name:  IMG_20200918_204911_988.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  402.9 KB
    Last edited by metalasmedium; 09-18-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Good to see you back. It’s amazing what a break can do. Your work is always inspiring and it was only the other day I was wondering what you were up to. Don’t put any pressure on yourself to see everything to completion.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    Good to see you back. It’s amazing what a break can do. Your work is always inspiring and it was only the other day I was wondering what you were up to. Don’t put any pressure on yourself to see everything to completion.
    Thanks Bull, thanks a lot for the praise! Yes indeed breaks gives time to clean some junk out!

Here a quick update:

Name:  IMG_20200919_174902_060.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  382.1 KB

Welcome back! Always nice to see hobbyists returning to the desk :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Welcome back! Always nice to see hobbyists returning to the desk :-)
    Thanks Graishak! But to clarify, it's more of a return to the forums than return to the desk. Beem away from the brushes only a few months.

Update on Aradia, started the metals! Fun time!

Name:  IMG_20200920_200434_680.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  146.5 KB
    Last edited by metalasmedium; 09-29-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Just a tease picture:

Name:  IMG_20200923_092357_052.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  111.9 KB

Slow process but worth the efforts i think.

Update:

Starting to tidy up the skin and the rest of the details.

Name:  IMG_20200925_112440_213.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  184.8 KB

You've received a very nice shiny effect on the rune!

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    You've received a very nice shiny effect on the rune!
    Thanks Graishak! I can thank Greenstuffworld fluo paints for that!

Update;

Tidy up the details slowly, working on the hair at the moment.

Name:  IMG_20200927_210809_104.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  388.8 KB

You seem to have aged and beaten metals down to perfection. I agree that the nose and rune is nice. I’ve never used the green stuff world Fluor paints before. Do they glow under UV light like the Scale75 Fluor FX paints do? I’ve started painting Arkhan the Black with the Scale75 ones. Looks a bit average in natural lighting like the zombie dragon is full of shimmering peas. Turn a UV light on and boom....glow in the dark.

That metal mmmmmhhhh... so nice!

I know you mainly paint in TMM, but did you ever try (or consider it) to paint metal in NMM?

Thanks guys!

@bullfrog, GSW fluorescent paints are really glowing under UV lights the only problem is trying to photograph a model with fluo paints in them. I had painted the Craven King with fluo paints almost entirely but i could not capture all of the spectrum of colors i could see with my eyes under UV lights, all of the cyan was gone in the pictures and replace with violets and blues. Aparently you can correct that in post editing but it"s out of my league. I find the paints to work well, just need to shake them really well as the pigments tend to separate and collect at the bottom more than acrylic paints. I don't know if Scale75 have a white fluo paint but GSW has one and that is what we should use as white when we paint with those.

@Dexter, I changed many things in the way i proceed with my projects in the past few months and to answer your questions yes i considered using NMM on a model but i never tried it. That is something i would like to try soon. Even the way i do TMM as evolved considerably since i started to paint with this type of metallic paints (lacquer base metallic paints) it is a very delicate and nerves wrecking paint as the lacquer in the paint start melting any layers of paints you already have on the miniature, meaning you can literally erase your work back to the resin, if you brush too hard on the same spot after applying lacquer paint and it is not completely dry. I don't know if what i said makes sense, it is like stripping. Why would i deal with such nerve wrecking technique? Well obviously for the shine these paint can produce and also i use the negative melting effect to my advantage to blend the colors with the metal, you just need to be extremely careful in the way you proceed (to not strip your mini back to the resin). My recently newly developed technique with these paints reduce to a minimum the chances of stripping the paint as i use a stippling technique instead of a more rough kind of drybrush i was using before. I also ditch the inks i was using in my techniques the past 5 years, i noticed inks leave a shinny finish like satin varnish... it's really hard to photograph as it makes reflection spots in the pictures. So yeah my technique from now on is going to be shading the metals exclusivly with acrylic paints instead of inks.
    Last edited by metalasmedium; 09-29-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Nice work on this bust so far. I really like that skin tone you have so far (although I am going to guess it will change a fair bit). Didn't realize you were using lacquer based paints for the metal. Very impressive to have that delicate of a touch without erasing all of your previous work on the figures!

Thank for the explaination! (makes total sense)

I've never tried anything other than acrylics (paint & ink) and a dash of oil paints, your use for metals sounds very interesting, even if daunting.
    The metallics in your work is awesome!

Blog Entries

Looking great, Joce! That’s interesting to read how you’re changing up your tried & true metal effects. I’ll be interested to compare your new works to your old.