Question about how Nightwatch's "VOW" works.

Thread: Question about how Nightwatch's "VOW" works.

Default Question about how Nightwatch's "VOW" works.

Sorry for basic rule. But I've browsed and searched about this but didn't find any matching case about this.

We ( Some players in Seoul, South Korea ) have conflict about how to use "VOW".

Because we think some vows are conflict to understand vow's working way. As example

1. "VOW" general rule is
    Vow : If the targeted unit is Night's Watch, you may attach this card to them. A unit may only have 1 Vow at any time (discard the previous Vow when a new one is attached). While attached, they gain ~~

2. "The Fire That Burns Against The Cold"
    TRIGGER : When an enemy expends a Condition Token on a friendly unit :
    EFFECT : Cancel the effect of that Token.

-> We think vow's target is at 'TRIGGER PART'

3. "The Watcher On The Wall"
    TRIGGER : After a friendly unit is attacked :
    EFFECT : 1 other friendly unit may make a free Maneuver or March action.

-> We think vow's target is at 'TRIGGER PART ' and 'EFFECT PART'

4. "The Horn That Wakes The Sleepers"
    TRIGGER : Start of a friendly turn :
    EFFECT : Target 1 friendly unit and draw 2 Tactics Cards.

-> We think vow's target is at 'EFFECT PART'

The question is "Which part is valid target of the vow?"

Some of us have a radical opinion that "Vow's target is not in tactics card text. they can target to any unit in the field".

Vows cannot target any unit on the field. They all have specific targets. (One exception is The Horn That Wakes the Sleeper.) The trickiest one is The Watcher on the Wall, which triggers when a unit is attacked but targets the unit that actually Manoeuvres/Marches (as per the FAQ).

Name:  Vow.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  14.4 KB

As for the rest:

- The Sword on the Darkness = attaches to the unit making the Melee Attack
    - The Fire That Burns Against the Cold = attaches to the unit that the Condition Token is on
    - The Horn That Wakes the Sleeper = attaches to any Night's Watch unit (providing it doesn't already have a Vow attached)
    - The Shield of the Realms of Men = attaches to the unit being attacked
    Chaos is a ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Rothwell View Post
    Vows cannot target any unit on the field. They all have specific targets. (One exception is The Horn That Wakes the Sleeper.) The trickiest one is The Watcher on the Wall, which triggers when a unit is attacked but targets the unit that actually Manoeuvres/Marches (as per the FAQ).

Name:  Vow.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  14.4 KB

As for the rest:

- The Sword on the Darkness = attaches to the unit making the Melee Attack
    - The Fire That Burns Against the Cold = attaches to the unit that the Condition Token is on
    - The Horn That Wakes the Sleeper = attaches to any Night's Watch unit (providing it doesn't already have a Vow attached)
    - The Shield of the Realms of Men = attaches to the unit being attacked
    Thank you for answer. Some of us (including me) are quite obsessed by logic.
    So we were discussing "Which one is valid target of vow." and thought one of 'Trigger's source or effect's target' should be a target for all vows.
    At least it is logical to us.

I understand every card should be read separately and check it's target as described. Do I understand right?

Quote Originally Posted by polliwog View Post

I understand every card should be read separately and check it's target as described. Do I understand right?
    This is correct.
    Chaos is a ladder.