How to remove excess medium from Scale75 F&G paints?

Thread: How to remove excess medium from Scale75 F&G paints?

Default How to remove excess medium from Scale75 F&G paints?

Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing well.

After a very long hiatus (and with recent events, am spending way more time at home now), just got back to mini painting again. Not that I got too deep into it the first time. LOL. Almost all my Citadel paints have long since dried out and not wanting to invest any more money into the line (the new color names I don't even recognize anymore), I've decided to go with the Scale75 F&G and some metallics and inks from the Scalecolor line. The metallics and inks are great, fantastic even. But I'm having coverage issues with the F&G set. My mistake, I should've bought just a few bottles to try out the line first if I'd like working with it. But the set's already been purchased and I'd like to work with it if I could. After some research, the consensus seems to be that the F&G line has excess medium in the bottles. After letting it settle for a while, I can definitely see a build up of clear medium near the top of the bottle with the pigments more concentrated at the bottom.

I am a total noob at this. Been looking a video on how to do it but no luck. So, do I just squeeze out the excess medium? Would it be better to remove the nozzle first then pour out the excess medium as it'll go faster? By that I mean that with the restricted flow of the nozzle, there's a chance the medium may rise to the top while the pigment sinks to the bottom so I may actually be getting rid of pigment unnecessarily. I'm also a little stumped by some of the suggested instructions. They say to shake the bottle first then to squeeze out the excess medium the shake the bottle again and it's ready for use. But wouldn't shaking/mixing be counterproductive? You want to get rid of just the medium right, not take some of the pigment with it? Also, I heard the Army Painter set has the same issue so if you have that line, I'd appreciate some input too. Right now I'm thinking of using a plastic pipette to suck out the top medium but that sounds slow going as that'll involve a lot of cleaning to avoid cross contamination of colors.

I'm open to and appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Imo either squeeze the unneeded medium on the top OR shake the hell out of the bottle (maybe even better if you use some mechanical helper device)

the idea what others wrote (squeeze, shake, squeeze again) is mostly BS as it IS counterproductive.
    The same people are who say (on FB) that with reaper paints the maximum you can do is basic ttq nothing more. Afaik Bailey use reaper paints with mindblowing results.

AP: no real experience, as I use only their inks. The inks don't have any problems, a little shake and they are ok. The one or two colors I tried were very thick, but shaking solved it, there was no need to get rid of excess medium.
    Forgot, that it works again.

This is my main gripe with scale75 paints. You really do need to shake the bejesus out them. I tend to shake them then and I put the first drop on some paper. Next drop goes on my wet palette. They seperate very quickly too. Put an agitator of stainless ball bearings or glass ones in each bottle as you open them. Anything that won’t rust will do. I’d recommend Vallejo over Scalecolour to anyone starting out. They are a little less temperamental. Great for translucent glazing with S75. Scale’s metallics are nice and were my favourite until I bought the ProAcryl metallics. They are the closest to liquid metal I’ve seen. I have several of the Vallejo Metal Colour paints and I choose ProAcryl over even them most times.