Extra Crispy's WIP

Thread: Extra Crispy's WIP

Newbie, please be gentle ExtraCrispy's Avatar

Default Extra Crispy's WIP

I see people prefer threads rather than separate WIP posts. So I thought I'd get mine rolling. I've been painting small (6mm/15mm) minis for the past decade, but have enough armies to choke a goat. So in 2021 i want to work on developing my painting skills. I'm not quite at square one, but pretty close. Feedback and suggestions are always welcome.

Okay, up next on the painting table, a 40mm figure from the now defunct Mindstalkers game - they were out of Italy but then folded.

I'm going to do the skin in a greenish troll flesh and the armor in white.

Welcome to this place and a good start into your painting journey.
    As you have been already working with smaller scales I'm convinced you have already enough practice to go for this ^^
    And for sure the right tools (brushes, colours). So, ready - set - go!

If you need some inspriation on how others have done something, make usage of this big big gallery, which is like
    a fountain of ideas. Have fun!

Just roughing in some colors...

Greenish skin, blue-gray hair, white armor. The bit of chain mail will be reddish copper, the cloak will be a soldier's plain cloak of dark green. Still undecided on the flag.

Well, crap. My paint has been too thick. I can see some detail starting to get obscured. Lesson learned! So off she goes to get stripped and we'll start over later. In the meantime i picked up a cheap box of 40k Tau to practice on!

Welcome to this forum, glad to have you here.

I have a love-hate relationship with stripping a mini - if it is one I really want to paint well, and don't mind the work, I'll strip it. (Ebay rescues too, of course).
    But otherwise just keep it on the shelf - once you feel you've progressed skill-wise, it is always nice to look back at how far you've come by comparing with that first one.

Thanks.

with gaming minis they just go on the table.

But this is a working on my skills project so stripping is the only option (it's a 40mm figure and the only one I have in that scale so far...)

Sucks that you have to strip the figure, but understand if you can't easily and/or cheaply get a replacement. Best of luck with removing the paint. I will be interested in seeing what the figure looks like once you get the paint issue corrected, it sounds like a cool color scheme.