Painting Daenerys, Mother of Dragons!

Thread: Painting Daenerys, Mother of Dragons!

Default Painting Daenerys, Mother of Dragons!

I painted Daenerys on the Twitch channel with oil paints as I worked on the dragons box...

here's the footage on the Mother of Dragons on the YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/aumBuiAe-xY

Name:  Post 1.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  299.9 KB
    Name:  Post 2.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  330.4 KB
    Name:  Post 3.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  438.8 KB
    Name:  Post 5.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  382.4 KB

The fire dragon is amazing.

Always a viewing experience James!!!

Much appreciated! It is really a lot of fun painting these on stream!!

Awesome work on Dany and the dragons

Thanks for the kind words!

This is fantastic, and I've been a long time follower of your oil-painting videos on YouTube. This is only my second post here, so it's nice to see you are a member.

Inspired by your work, I painted my first model completely in oils recently. I must say, you make it look way easier than it actually is. I assume you have a background in fine arts or something and have a lot of experience with oils outside the miniature painting world?

I especially struggled with painting oils over oils. I notice in some of your videos (for example, in this one when you first outline her headband or crown or whatever it is), you just lay down a bit of colour (in that case, an outline) and then move onto some completely different part of the model. Is that to allow the bit you just put down to dry slightly to make it easier to paint over later or just blocking out values?

Anyway, I love your work. I love the finished effect it produces and I'm amazed you can do it so quickly.

Thanks so much for the kind words!

The key with the oils is to have as little paint on the brush, and the miniature, as this allows it to adhere much better. I often leave paint to 'set' for a bit, which is why I always advocate working on many figures at once to keep you from hammering away at the same areas and overworking them.

The paints are also pre thinned, much like the Mig Ammo Oilbrushers. I was a 2D artist well before painting miniatures, and I loved painting with oils, Pastels and watercolors. To me, the minis are just 3D paintings! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wappellious View Post
    Thanks so much for the kind words!

The key with the oils is to have as little paint on the brush, and the miniature, as this allows it to adhere much better. I often leave paint to 'set' for a bit, which is why I always advocate working on many figures at once to keep you from hammering away at the same areas and overworking them.

The paints are also pre thinned, much like the Mig Ammo Oilbrushers. I was a 2D artist well before painting miniatures, and I loved painting with oils, Pastels and watercolors. To me, the minis are just 3D paintings! :-)
    Yes, I really see that approach in your work. Unfortunately I just don't have that level of artistic skill and experience, but it won't stop me trying.

Thanks for your tip regarding having as little oil on the brush as possible.

I much prefer working with oils than acrylics. Everything is more relaxing and less frustrating. I just can't get as good a result as I can with acrylics, but the actual painting is more fun. The oil paints feel luxurious.

I am hoping that it does make painting more relaxed, more fun, etc. It certainly has for me, no mater what size or type the figure is. So enjoyable!!!!!

Yeah, my results are not as good with acrylics as they are with oils, but for some reason oils are so much more relaxing and enjoyable to work with.

Weird, I wonder why that is?

In any case, I have a gang of goblins from Otherworld miniatures to paint, then I'm going to do my next group in oils, even if they turn out looking worse than I could do with acrylics. It's the only way to learn, but I've been avoiding it because I want them to look the best I can do.

P.S. any chance you will do some of the awesome old school AD&D models by Otherworld on your YouTube? I love their models and would so enjoy watching you paint one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wappellious View Post
    I am hoping that it does make painting more relaxed, more fun, etc. It certainly has for me, no mater what size or type the figure is. So enjoyable!!!!!
    Yeah, my results are not as good with acrylics as they are with oils, but for some reason oils are so much more relaxing and enjoyable to work with. You are absolutely right!

Weird, I wonder why that is?

In any case, I have a gang of goblins from Otherworld miniatures to paint, then I'm going to do my next group in oils, even if they turn out looking worse than I could do with acrylics. It's the only way to learn, but I've been avoiding it because I want them to look the best I can do.

P.S. any chance you will do some of the awesome old school AD&D models by Otherworld on your YouTube? I love their models and would so enjoy watching you paint one.

I don't have any of those minis, but I did just do a 10 hour stream on the Twitch channel where I painted 15 Moria goblins in OSL!

Here's a link to that session: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/924669776

Ohhhhh! Fantastic! I can't wait to watch and I'm stoked you reply to my messages.

Thanks for watching! The latest Saturday challenge was really wild, because I was painting a dozen Minas tirith Warriors in TMM... in oils!!