Painting the Age of Sigmar Herdstone in oils with OSL effects!

Thread: Painting the Age of Sigmar Herdstone in oils with OSL effects!

Default Painting the Age of Sigmar Herdstone in oils with OSL effects!

I had a blast painting the Herdstone on stream, and the oils were incredibly helpful in achieving all the effects that I wanted in rapid succession as always!

You can watch a condensed version here on the YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/Xic2EHar81k

Name:  Post 1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  512.4 KB
    Name:  Post 2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  497.0 KB
    Name:  Post 5.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  414.4 KB
    Name:  Post 6.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  479.3 KB

Wow ... that's just amazing. Those oils just look so much nicer and richer than acrylics too. I really love it!

Thanks so much!

I don't know if you saw the one spot where we show a figure painted in acrylics next to a figure in the same type of color scheme painted in oils. Every time I see that comparison it is shocking, and I know exactly what is coming!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wappellious View Post
    Thanks so much!

I don't know if you saw the one spot where we show a figure painted in acrylics next to a figure in the same type of color scheme painted in oils. Every time I see that comparison it is shocking, and I know exactly what is coming!! :-)
    No I didn't see that. But I'm totally sold on oils. I can't get the same results as I can with acrylics but that is to be expected when you learn something new. It's a completely different way of painting, and like we discussed before, regardless of my results, so much more relaxing and less stressful!

This is a 1st Edition AD&D Troll from Otherworld miniature I painted almost entirely in oils. Not close to your level, but not horrible either if I may say so myself.

"almost" because I touched it up in acrylics (teeth, tongue, nails. etc). It's a oil-noob model really since it's basically just one colour. I don't know how you manage to paint fine details in oils wet-on-wet. I can block in the overall colours in oils but still need to go back to acrylics to do the details. I guess it's all about practice.

One thing is for sure, even as a complete newb to oils and not a very good painter, the colours really pop with oil way more than acrylics!

Last edited by The Pig-Faced Orc; 02-24-2021 at 06:18 PM.

They certainly do! That looks great!

The key to oils is less paint. Practically a drybrush. I show this very often on the live sessions and vids. Less is more, and more is way too much ;-)