Improving cheap paint

Thread: Improving cheap paint

Newbie, please be gentle Steal Your Face's Avatar

Default Improving cheap paint

I've been on the search for the "perfect orc skin" color from an imperfect childhood memory of my step-father's orc minis from the late 70s. The one paint that I found matches that memory is Antique Green from Americana DecoArt. I absolutely love the color itself, however, it dries as if I was using a drybrush technique; really cakey. I tried using water and flow improver to improve the finish of the paint, but neither of those seem to work. Is there anything else I can do, or is that just the nature of cheap paint?

(In case of suggestions of colors to substitute) Other colors I've used that I also don't like include:
    Citadel Elysian Green
    Citadel Deathworld Forest
    Reaper Olive Green
    Reaper Olive Drab
    Reaper Orc Skin
    Vallejo Goblin Green
    Vallejo Golden Olive
    Vallejo Olive Green
    Formula P3 Ordic Olive (close, but a little too dark, would settle with if I have to.)

Thanks!

Cheap paint is usually a combination of cheap medium, cheap pigments or (most likely) both.

But I don't think the problem with that antique green is because of the pigments. Nearly all olive pigments (which is what that antique green looks like) are derived from terre verte (green earth), a quality pigment used for centuries. But the medium...that could be sketchy.

A bad medium is going to cause the product to dry out, or cause the pigments to clump together. Acrylic medium is basically "clear paint," ie, the paint base without the pigments. It's available at most hobby and craft stores in bulk. I use Liquitex, but most paint manufacturers (Army Painter, AV/Vallejo) have acrylic medium available.

Try that.

Newbie, please be gentle Steal Your Face's Avatar

Thank you for the reply Beatnik, I will definitely try the Acrylic Medium.