Attn Wappellious - oil painting questions ...

Thread: Attn Wappellious - oil painting questions ...

Default Attn Wappellious - oil painting questions ...

Hello Wappellious,

I've spoken a few words to you in YouTube comments (as well as this forum), and also subscribed to your Twitch. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to catch you due to time differences (and for some reason, I don't get notifications when you're live - I guess because it's 2am).

I have a couple of questions...

1. What is the pallette you are using in your videos? It kind of looks like some kind of wet palette.

2. How useful are transparent paints ... in fact, a few words on paint opacity in general would be helpful. When I first started experimenting with oil, I bought a few colours without knowing what I was doing, and they're all transparent. But they actually don't seem to be that transparent. In fact, some of them are more opaque than the ones labelled as "semi transparent" or "opaque".

3. You said in one video that things like yellows in oils are more opaque than darker colours. That has not been my experience, even my "opaque" Cadmium Medium Yellow Hue" is very transparent. Maybe I just put too much thinner it or? Or is it because it's a Cadmium Hue instead of the real deal? You can see in the photos how transparent my "opaque" labelled cadmium yellow hue is...

This is how I mixed my paints ... I put each bottle about 40% full of thinner and then squeezed the tube in until they were full and then shook the hell out of them. Interestingly some came out really thin and others still quite thick. I guess it depends on the actual pigment.

These are my opaques (primaries right, mixed secondaries left) ... you can see how transparent that yellow is! Also ... damn it's hard to mix purple. I thought it was just red and blue? lol. That seems to always turn out brown (as you can see in my mix). I gave up and bought a violet one that hasn't arrived yet. The red is also very dominating, to make that "orange" I had to basically use mostly yellow and just a bit of red and it's still turned out red-orange at best. All learning stuff.

These are my "transparent" paints. I think they have surprisingly good coverage, some better than the "opaque" ones, so I dunno what that's all about.

These are some brown shades I mixed together with left-overs. I use a lot of browns.

This is the first model I've painted in entirely 100% oils (except for the undercoat). It's a very old and very small Lord of the Rings miniature. It was a test piece and will serve as a good reference to see how I improve going forwards.

Last edited by The Pig-Faced Orc; 07-01-2021 at 07:41 AM.

just a remark for purples: it is better to get a purple pigment as mixing it (as you experienced it) is not easy. That said, while color theory says purple=red+blue, in practice because of how pigments are you'd have a much better success with magenta+cyan or magenta+blue. And the quality of the pigments matter a LOT.

I use mainly acryls and from the usual ranges I can get a brownish color like you did, but from the Schminke primacryl range (using magenta instead of red) I got a suprisingly good purple.
    I'm pretty sure it is similar in oils too.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    just a remark for purples: it is better to get a purple pigment as mixing it (as you experienced it) is not easy. That said, while color theory says purple=red+blue, in practice because of how pigments are you'd have a much better success with magenta+cyan or magenta+blue. And the quality of the pigments matter a LOT.

I use mainly acryls and from the usual ranges I can get a brownish color like you did, but from the Schminke primacryl range (using magenta instead of red) I got a suprisingly good purple.
    I'm pretty sure it is similar in oils too.
    That sure makes sense, thanks.

I didn't want to invest too much oils while I'm just experimenting so just went for the primary colours. Then realised I'd bought "transparent" paints so bought the same primaries in "opaque". And I kind of guessed at what you said, so about 2 weeks ago ordered the same primaries in "fluro" (cyan, magenta and lemon yellow) lol. - not yet arrived tho. So I'm getting quite a collection already.

I threw in Burnt Umber as Wappellious keeps banging on about it. Kinda doesn't make sense to me because it seems you can mix a zillions browns out of the colours I have, but he knows ten million things about this that I don't, so....
    Last edited by The Pig-Faced Orc; 07-01-2021 at 03:52 PM.

Hey there!

You can always watch the Twitch sessions like a YouTube channel, as they are all permanently saved as highlights. There are also tons of videos on the YouTube channel!

The palette is just a pieces of parchment paper temporarily glued to a piece of cardboard.

Never mix the thinner and paint in the jars, as you will get the results that happened. I only mix them in some kind of disposable container, adding a little thinner here and there. Every paint color is different, and will require more or less thinner. Everyone I have talked to who had mixed thinner and paint in bottles has basically redone them.

The "Hue" colors are not true cadmiums, so won't be as opaque as the real thing. The actual cadmium colors will be much more pricey, which is why they are of a much higher quality.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pig-Faced Orc View Post
    I threw in Burnt Umber as Wappellious keeps banging on about it. Kinda doesn't make sense to me because it seems you can mix a zillions browns out of the colours I have, but he knows ten million things about this that I don't, so....
    As well Wappellious should. The canvas artists will attest that Burnt Umber is not just any brown. It has several unique properties that other pigments don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatnik59 View Post
    As well Wappellious should. The canvas artists will attest that Burnt Umber is not just any brown. It has several unique properties that other pigments don't have.
    Yeah, I figured it would be something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wappellious View Post
    Hey there!

You can always watch the Twitch sessions like a YouTube channel, as they are all permanently saved as highlights. There are also tons of videos on the YouTube channel!

The palette is just a pieces of parchment paper temporarily glued to a piece of cardboard.

Never mix the thinner and paint in the jars, as you will get the results that happened. I only mix them in some kind of disposable container, adding a little thinner here and there. Every paint color is different, and will require more or less thinner. Everyone I have talked to who had mixed thinner and paint in bottles has basically redone them.

The "Hue" colors are not true cadmiums, so won't be as opaque as the real thing. The actual cadmium colors will be much more pricey, which is why they are of a much higher quality.
    Hi Wappellious,

Thanks for the response. Hmmmm. Don't thin down the paints in the bottles, really? I know you use a lot out of the tubes these days, but what about those little Wappellious "brand" droppers you make? Are they not thinned? I seem to remember in one video that you said they should be thinned down to the same consistency as the paints in acrylic pots? Or maybe that was someone else. Maybe I'm imagining it... anyway, it's no great loss. It's only a bit of money, it was only a three or four tubes and it's all a learning experience. I can just keep the thinned down ones for doing glazes or something.

Yeah, I have discovered all your "highlights" on Twitch. They are great. However, I can't seem to find the "basics" tutorials that I hear people talk about. Nor can I find this mythical "Book of Wappel". lol. Maybe you can point me in the right direction?

Hey there!

The stuff in the bottles is the pre- thinned variety, but I just don't have time to mix those any more :-)

I have a number of patreon videos that show me mixing the oils, and also doing various color charts to show how the colors interact with each other.

Hey there!

The stuff in the bottles is the pre- thinned variety, but I just don't have time to mix those any more :-)

I have a number of patreon videos that show me mixing the oils, and also doing various color charts to show how the colors interact with each other.
    Ah right ... I'm a bit confused. lol.

Are you saying it's all good in the hood to mix the pure paints straight out of the tube with a bit of thinner in the droppers, just not to mix two or paints together in the droppers?

From your first reply, I thought you meant don't put the paints (even without mixing colours together) in the droppers at all (or don't do it with any thinner)... ?

Don't mix the paint and thinner in the dropper bottles. Do that in something like a disposable plastic container, and add a little thinner at a time, since each paint has a very different consistency

Don't mix the paint and thinner in the dropper bottles. Do that in something like a disposable plastic container, and add a little thinner at a time, since each paint has a very different consistency

Ah yeah. Thanks for the tip. See you on Twitch soon.