Thread: Charge and impossible placement

Default Charge and impossible placement

Name:  2021-08-23 (6).jpg
Views: 159
Size:  12.4 KBName:  2021-08-23 (7).jpg
Views: 156
Size:  15.3 KB
    The rulebook reads (pg. 16) for Charge action :
    "(...) Pivot Attacker: The attacker may then pivot, as long as the targeted enemy remains in its Line of Sight and will potentially contact the target during its move.
    Roll Charge Distance and Move Attacker: The attacker will then roll a D6. This roll, plus the attacker’s Speed Stat, is its total charge distance. The attacker is then moved directly forward its total charge distance, stopping only if it would contact another unit it cannot cross or a Terrain piece it cannot cross (in which case, it will stop 1” away from that unit/Terrain piece).
    (pg. 13) box moving and other units
    "(...) while moving, units may freely pass through (but never end overlapping) friendy units."

The green unit needing at least a "4" for the distance charge to be successful, what would happen if the distance result is only a "1". Stopping after moving forward would end up with overlapping a friendly unit so not possible. If the unit was pushed backward it woud still be impossible because it would be overlapping another friendly unit.
    Last edited by titfilou; 09-02-2021 at 05:46 AM.

I will give a little push up since my thread didn't receive a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by titfilou View Post
    I will give a little push up since my thread didn't receive a reply.
    For this situation, wouldn't this line come into play (effectively causing the unit to be pushed back to 1" away): "The attacker is then moved directly forward its total charge distance, stopping only if it would contact another unit it cannot cross or a Terrain piece it cannot cross (in which case, it will stop 1” away from that unit/Terrain piece).

I would say "1' away" argument is for units/terrain contacted during the charge.
    Furthermore, if you stop 1" away you follow the charge direction and end up in an illegal position. So you have to push back 1" way until your unit is in a legal position. Finally, at the other side of the bottom unit and it means charging made you get 6-7" away. And still, if the unit was next to an edge of the table it would be illegal placement. I guess getting back to the last legal position of the unit would be the easiest way to solve it since you can always find somthing that would mean ending up in an illegal position.

The unit will end up in the last legal position in could in this specific case. This is of course assuming that it 1. Had a legal charge, 2. Overlapped a unit during its pivot, 3. Failed to contact the enemy during said charge, 4. Failed to move far enough to clear a unit/contact the target.
    CMON Design and Development Manager
    Designer: A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft, Bloodborne, Masters of the Universe: Clash for Eternia