Sentinel Order's Interaction

Thread: Sentinel Order's Interaction

Default Sentinel Order's Interaction

I have several questions regarding sequence of play involving Sentinel Order.

1. I am the active player and y unit X is charging enemy's Builder Crossbow. Then he declared Ready, Aim Fire. After the ranged attack is done, I declare a Sentinel Order from my other unit Y. The question is which one resolves earlier (or is it simultaneous?):
    - The original charge from X
    - The Sentinel order from Y

2. My enemy is the active player and his Ranger Hunter performs melee attack on my unit X. After the attack, enemy declares swift strike and I declare Sentinel Order from my other unit Y. Ranger Hunter's retreat resolves earlier (as active player) and after the retreat, he declares Order: Quick Fire. The question is which one resolves earlier:
    - Ranger Hunter's Quick Fire
    - Sentinel Order from Y (as the trigger is 1 step earlier)

1/a unit charges crossbow with aim ready release
    2/X declares and resolves ready aim release
    3/Y declares sentinel and resolves
    4/Initial charge is resolved

For the question 2 you resolve quick fire first because he's part of the retreat action resolution and you have to resolve swift strike and associated effects before resolving sentinel
    Last edited by titfilou; 09-02-2021 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by titfilou View Post
    1/a unit charges crossbow with aim ready release
    2/X declares and resolves ready aim release
    3/Y declares sentinel and resolves
    4/Initial charge is resolved

For the question 2 you resolve quick fire first because he's part of the retreat action resolution and you have to resolve swift strike and associated effects before resolving sentinel

This is correct.
    CMON Design and Development Manager
    Designer: A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft, Bloodborne, Masters of the Universe: Clash for Eternia

Default Follow up questions

Quote Originally Posted by CMON Michael Shinall View Post
    This is correct.
    Thanks for the response CMON Michael Shinall. I have some follow up questions as I apparently have a fundamental misunderstanding of the simultaneous actions rules on page 21 of the 2021 rulebook. Using the scenario from above as the Nightswatch player completes the melee action this is the initial Trigger, (triggers are based off of gameplay events and steps, not the specific wording of the trigger pg.21) and results in both players declaring the use of an ability. Nightswatch using the ranger's swift strike and the other player using the Order: Sentinel.
    In this event the third bullet of simultaneous actions is the option used "Once both players have declared any effects they wish to trigger, those effects will then be resolved, beginning with the player whose turn it is resolving their effect first, followed by their opponent." This makes it very clear that the rangers retreat first followed by the other players Sentinel order. However, above we seem to be treating 2 separate abilities with separate timing triggers as a single action.
    The ranger hunters swift strike (triggers on completion of melee) and the Ranger's order Quick Fire (triggers after this unit completes a maneuver or retreat action). While I understand they are on the same unit and of course have great synergy they are not a "linked" ability and are happening at different times. My understanding of the word simultaneous is that events are happening at the same time, but the initial response given to this question suggests they so long as the active player can continue to create and then respond to new Trigger events, all of those following events will resolve prior to the initial simultaneous action.
    Example: Rangers end of melee attack triggers swift strike, now the retreat action from swift strike triggers Ranger's order Quick Fire, shooting action destroyed an enemy unit triggering Take the Black. This does not make sense as the simultaneous action rule on page 21 appears to be very plain language to me and that the triggering events are by literal definition not happening simultaneously, one event creates the trigger event for the next and they are two different abilities.

Thanks.

The rules specifically state how to resolve Simultaneous Events, eg, the order in which they are resolved. This does not preclude other events from triggering off of these and thus needing to be resolved.

Swift Strike creates a Retreat Action, which can in turn cause other triggers to be met and thus resolve based off of the new Retreat Action. If the original Swift Strike had a conflict that was being resolved via Simultaneous Events, it has no impact on the newer ones being generated- they would not "wait" till the end of the current resolution, they would trigger and resolve whenever they trigger.
    CMON Design and Development Manager
    Designer: A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft, Bloodborne, Masters of the Universe: Clash for Eternia