Shifting in combat and Dragon’s flight

Thread: Shifting in combat and Dragon’s flight

Default Shifting in combat and Dragon’s flight

Is shifting in combat a movement that can trigger Dragon’s Flight? It appears to meet the definition as the tray is physically repositioned as per the definition of movement in the rulebook. However the rulebook also says that you can’t end a move within 1” except when charging, which might indicate that shifting in combat is an exception to the general movement rule as shifting in combat must always result in you ending the move within 1” of an enemy unit.

Many thanks.

Just bumping this up so it doesn't get lost.
    Chaos is a ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter is coming View Post
    Is shifting in combat a movement that can trigger Dragon’s Flight? It appears to meet the definition as the tray is physically repositioned as per the definition of movement in the rulebook. However the rulebook also says that you can’t end a move within 1” except when charging, which might indicate that shifting in combat is an exception to the general movement rule as shifting in combat must always result in you ending the move within 1” of an enemy unit.

Many thanks.
    yes a shift is a move as stated on pg5

whenever a tray is physically repositioned by a rule including pivots
    Dak Hemm Paints
    Gold on Dice Events

Thanks but I’m really looking for an official answer. I know what the rulebook says, I referred to it in my question.

As I also said though, if that’s the case it has potentially wider implications as any move other than a charge action can’t end within 1” of an enemy unit. This would appear to mean that unit’s can’t shift in combat if doing so would mean that they would end within 1” of an enemy unit. So I would also like Michael to address this point (assuming he agrees with the first point) as literally no one is playing the rules like that at the moment (at least competitively).

Thanks but I’m really looking for an official answer. I know what the rulebook says, I referred to it in my question.

As I also said though, if that’s the case it has potentially wider implications as any move other than a charge action can’t end within 1” of an enemy unit. This would appear to mean that unit’s can’t shift in combat if doing so would mean that they would end within 1” of an enemy unit. So I would also like Michael to address this point (assuming he agrees with the first point) as literally no one is playing the rules like that at the moment (at least competitively).
    the combat shift and the ranged shift and the shift from other sources different things, they have their own rules.

The combat shift rules supersedes the one inch as well since it s written on its own, whilst the other shifts are subjective to the 1 inch

but all of them count as a move and all of them would trigger dragon flight
    Dak Hemm Paints
    Gold on Dice Events

That’s not true at all. The rules say:
    “Units may never end a move within 1” of an enemy, except when moving as part of a Charge action (see Charging: “Roll Charge Distance and Move Attacker”, pg. 16).”

If realignment is a move then there is no distinction between realignment and any other move (other than a charge) as far as the 1” move rule is concerned. I accept, by implication, the 1” rule would not apply to any unit it is engaged in but there’s nothing in the rules to say that this wouldn’t apply to any non-engaged enemy units. This is why I’m looking for an official answer and not what other people think.
    Last edited by Winter is coming; 09-23-2021 at 07:25 AM.

That’s not true at all. The rules say:
    “Units may never end a move within 1” of an enemy, except when moving as part of a Charge action (see Charging: “Roll Charge Distance and Move Attacker”, pg. 16).”

If realignment is a move then there is no distinction between realignment and any other move (other than a charge) as far as the 1” move rule is concerned. I accept, by implication, the 1” rule would not apply to any unit it is engaged in but there’s nothing in the rules to say that this wouldn’t apply to any non-engaged enemy units. This is why I’m looking for an official answer and not what other people think.
    pg 15, it explains how to do said shift and starts the last bullet point with..........Once these moves are completed, etcetcetc

the only limitation is the one unit engaged.

If pg15 still does not solve your issue I hope you get a reply from game dev

I noticed that now you added the part of the unengaged unit, that no I don t have a reply for it but initial post did not have that condition
    Last edited by Bazzu; 09-23-2021 at 07:54 AM.
    Dak Hemm Paints
    Gold on Dice Events

Moving is moving... you're here... the second later you're there... you moved. Concerning "Not ending a move at less than 1" i would say you can't shift if it would end with your combat unit less than 1" of an enemy unit and is not part of a charge action.

No, a unit repositioning itself in combat will not trigger Dragon's Flight.
    CMON Design and Development Manager
    Designer: A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft, Bloodborne, Masters of the Universe: Clash for Eternia