Clarifiction on "What is dead may never die" tactics card

Thread: Clarifiction on "What is dead may never die" tactics card

Default Clarifiction on "What is dead may never die" tactics card

I recently played my first game and I used the Greyjoy "What is dead may never die" tactics card. But it wasn't entirely clear to me and my opponent how it actually works. I tried to look online but couldn't find anything useful. The question I/we had:

• Does the unit fully heal (minus the D3) or does the unit only heal up to the D3?
    • If the unit dies in the Combat Phase before the Panic test, I play "What is dead..." do I need to take the Panic Test? I have seen conflicting opinions on this. Does some one know about any "official ruling" on this?

1. The card says the unit restores D3 Wounds, it doesn't say it heals to full.
    2. Nothing on the card says to skip any steps of combat. You failed Defense Saves, you suffer a Panic Test.

1. As Alliser wrote.
    2. Trigger is "When a friendly unit is destroyed". If the unit was destroyed as a direct result of the attack dice roll rather than the complete melee (attack dice + panic test rolls) then you don't have to take the panic test, period. It being 'returned' doesn't mean the combat sequence has to proceed at the panic test step, it is just not completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alliser Thorne View Post
    1. The card says the unit restores D3 Wounds, it doesn't say it heals to full.
    I agree with OP that it's confusingly written, because to be fair, the card does not say "restore."

Quote Originally Posted by FLman View Post
    I agree with OP that it's confusingly written, because to be fair, the card does not say "restore."
    The card says the unit "remains in play with D3 wounds". I do not see how you can read this as "the unit gains back all its Wounds".

Only voicing some confusion and looking for clarity. What trips me up I think is the sometimes interchangeable nature of using "Wounds" to describe both health and damage. So for me - and perhaps OP - just confused on if the unit remains in play with D3 suffered (which would only make sense from full strength) or D3 remaining. I also think Balon NCU resurrects a unit at full strength, so it's not totally unprecedented for the faction.

I agree with FLman, the "Wound" term is sometimes confusing between injury and health. But there is difference between suffer and restore. And wording on cards makes sense.

For a unit, "wounds" are the number of wounds a unit can suffer before to be destroyed, as described on unit cards (for example cavalry units or Solo units) :

So for "What is dead may never die", the unit remains in the game with 1D3 wounds.

The card would be worded something like "The unit remains in play, restore all its wounds but suffer D3 wounds" instead, if the unit should fully heal minus D3.
    Last edited by Blackjack006; 12-18-2021 at 11:25 AM.