Creating cast shadows with OSL!

Thread: Creating cast shadows with OSL!

Default Creating cast shadows with OSL!

This Clay Cyanide figure was a great way to show how to create a cast shadow while doing Object Source lighting.

You can check out the painting session here: https://youtu.be/9L7IdMi-fig

Name:  Post 1.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  516.2 KB
    Name:  Post 2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  491.8 KB
    Name:  Post 3.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  809.7 KB
    Name:  Post 4.jpg
Size:  468.5 KB
    Name:  Post 5.jpg
Size:  541.7 KB

Wow great job. Really love your OSL paintings. Thanks a lot for putting all these great tutorials with your tips to youtube.

I still have struggles with oils. Espeacially with reds. My Cadmium Reds are quite orange (Van Gogh Cadmium Red Light/ Schmincke Nroma Cadmium Red Light). The Old Holland Cadmium Red Light is more reddish but it doesn't stick well, kinda slides around and leaves a lot of brush marks. It kinda behaves like a transparent paint in that regard although it's opaque. Should I maybe try a dark/medium cadmium red? Was about to try the Abteilung Red but I had my doubts since the price was so low compared to artist grade paints and since you mentioned them in your video I can save that money now ^^

I use the Fanchion Red from Williamsburg, but reds can be notoriously "slippery". It is just the nature of that particular color. One that that I do in the Army Painting series is allow the red to dry, and then go back into it later. Even allowing the paint several minutes to "set" can make a big difference. Also, I am not "layering" like acrylics, so the paint is not piling up, which can help with brush strokes, etc.

Thanks for the tip, I will give it some other trys and quite reassuring that I didn't just get a "bad" tube xD

I already managed to get some better results with Scheveningen Red. I usually use oils on larger surfaces for wet in wet blendings or feathering since it's super realxing with oils. I really like the fact you can push and pull them around for hours. It happend during the blending of the edges of the Cadmium Red though that I "ripped" of the paint rather then stretching and blending it. But I will give it some time in the future to properly set Maybe I also still have gotten some terpentine left in the brush when I applied it.

So thanks for the comment and keep up your great work! Really a joy to watch you paint with oils and you make it look so easy.

Another important aspect is to use that high quality odorless thinner, as that is far gentler on the paints.. and the brushes too!