When does a unit affected by Last Stand die?

Thread: When does a unit affected by Last Stand die?

Default When does a unit affected by Last Stand die?

Is it:

1. Immediately after the attack
    2. As a "when this attack is completed" trigger
    3. After "when this attack is completed" triggers, but before Surge Forth?
    4. After Surge Forth?
    Last edited by Hecaton; 11-29-2021 at 11:09 PM.

Last Stand states 'before removing that unit', so this is clearly within the attack sequence, which Surge Forth is not.
    It can also occur, triggered by the unit's destruction and therefore death, at several points within the attack action:
    - immediately after a hit and/or wound allocation resulting from the attack die roll (step 6 of the attack resolution, RB p.17, see below), in which case the unit dies after performing it's retaliatory melee attack action but before the now unnecessary panic test;
    - immediately after an attack effect allocates automatic wounds before or after the die roll (out of my depth here, I ken not all the potential cards listing such an effect) which would result in the unit's destruction;
    - immediately after a wound allocation resulting from a panic test die roll (step 7 of the attack resolution), in which case the unit dies similarly after performing it's retaliatory melee attack action but before the attack action itself gets completed (step 8 of the attack resolution);

So, in the case of the unit actually dying from an attack action (and not some other non-attack-related effect), 4. is out the picture, so are 3. and 2. since they'd rest on 'when this attack is completed' which is not the case if one follows the attack resolution steps. 1. is a bit problematic in the terminology, not knowing if you mean the attack roll or the attack action.

For reference:

No, I'm talking about the attack granted by Last Stand.

Oh, that changes a lot of things then, my bad for not reading you right in the first place. The unit acting Last Stand dies right after fulfilling this effect which implies a whole new attack action, and all its steps should therefore be followed. If I'm forereading you right, it should then be able to surge forth in the possibility that it destroys the adversary unit it attacked through Last Stand.
    Potentially awesomely horrendous (albeit statistically little likely to happen) if it happened to combine with something like the Overrun order.

I wonder if the answer is here : Is Surge Forth part of the attack action? (coolminiornot.com)

Surge Forth is not part of an attack action, so the destroyed unit makes its last attack and is removed. No Surge Forth for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack006 View Post
    I wonder if the answer is here : Is Surge Forth part of the attack action? (coolminiornot.com)

Surge Forth is not part of an attack action, so the destroyed unit makes its last attack and is removed. No Surge Forth for it.
    I think we still need a clarification on this. It's pretty fuzzy.