Simultaneous actions - Catelyn Stark vs Field Control

Thread: Simultaneous actions - Catelyn Stark vs Field Control

Default Simultaneous actions - Catelyn Stark vs Field Control

Edit: As the title should say, the matter is about the cards' effects resolution sequence.

I claim the tactical 'Horse' zone with Catelyn Stark whose influence (1st point especially) is listed below:

My opponent, wanting to counter my manoeuvre, plays the Field Control tactical card, using my NCU claiming the zone trigger (2nd point) correctly:

This reaction card thus renders the unit Catelyn gave a free manoeuvre to Weakened.
    Now, does Catelyn's influence come into play after Field Control, allowing me to remove the Weakened token, since the Targaryen card is used as an 'interrupt', or does the influence (and its token removal effect) come first as part of Catelyn's claiming the zone, followed by the Field Control reaction effect?

My opponent and I weren't at all sure of how this would play out, all the more since the additional rules (p.21) tends to offer a straightforward action/effect resolution tool but which, in our minds, seems to be vague in regards to the current situation:

In the end, we went for a half-arsed decision none of us were entirely convinced with, namely allow the weakened token to remain on my unit.
    Any input here?
    Last edited by Lleman; 11-30-2021 at 05:31 PM.

So because Influence effects are simultaneous with the actual zone ability, the active player gets to choose the order they resolve in. This means that you, as the active player, can choose to have the zone effect (which includes applying Weakened, as dictated by Field Control) go first, and then influence them with Catelyn to remove that token.

I would totally agree on that were there only effects controlled by me, but the issue lies with the opponent meddling in so to say: if I follow the simultaneous action wording I get to decide to apply the influence effect or not but have to give it up if I allow the opponent's effect to come first.
    Or am I reading this very punitively, as is my usual masochistic habit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lleman View Post
    I would totally agree on that were there only effects controlled by me, but the issue lies with the opponent meddling in so to say: if I follow the simultaneous action wording I get to decide to apply the influence effect or not but have to give it up if I allow the opponent's effect to come first.
    Or am I reading this very punitively, as is my usual masochistic habit ?
    You still control the effect; you're choosing the targeting. It's just changed to be a shitty, shitty effect.

I don't think you're being super clear with what you're trying to say, but the way you treat it is if you put your NCU down on a tactics zone that reads: "1 friendly combat unit becomes Weakened. It may then shift 3"."

It's still your effect, just like any other tactics zone in the game is your effect when you lay your NCU down on it.

I'm not focusing on the tactical zone effect, that I'm clear with; as you say it just turns into a lousy effect. What I'm actually dealing with is the resolution order for the influence. What you stated three posts above seems to go against the timing resolution additional rule, even if I'm inclined to think like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecaton View Post
    This means that you, as the active player, can choose to have the zone effect (which includes applying Weakened, as dictated by Field Control) go first, and then influence them with Catelyn to remove that token.
    Basically, does the Influence - triggered by claiming the zone - take primacy over the opponent reaction card effect in its entirety, then playing as:
    NCU claims zone < opponent plays reaction card and changes zone effect AND puts token on unit < NCU influence triggers and removes token
    or
    would the Influence be immediately triggered after claiming the zone with the NCU, then playing as:
    NCU claims zone < NCU influence triggers and tries to remove token (no token) < opponent plays reaction card and changes zone effect AND puts token on unit
    ?

Neither of those. Order is:
    1. NCU claims zone
    2. Targ player plays Field Control, which does nothing to the board but changes how the active player's action plays out.
    3. Active player resolves simultaneous effects in the order they choose - in this case it's Catelyn's Influence ability and the altered Maneuver zone ability as per Field Control. The Weakened token will be placed ny the active player when the active player chooses to resolve the zone effect, which can be before Catelyn's influence since they're both simultaneous.

Rules as written, Field Control, Influence, and the zone itself all have triggers of "when an NCU claims a zone," but you have to treat Field Control as resolving before everything else or it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Hecaton; 12-01-2021 at 01:02 PM.