Here We Stand and Flanks

Thread: Here We Stand and Flanks

Default Here We Stand and Flanks

So I have looked on the Forums and my Core Rules but I cannot find what a Flank Edge means, for this Mission and other stuff like Outflank. Is a Flank Table Edge ANY non-Deployment Zone edge or must you stay out of the Deployment Zones? So looking at the Mission in specific: when I return a Unit to play must I stay out of BOTH Deployment Zones and stay within 6" of the sides, or can I go anywhere on the table within 6" of the sides?

Flanks are both west/east, left/right sides of the table. It's neither the deployment zone nor a player's edge of the table.
    If you return a unit as in Here We Stand, it can be within Short (6") of any flank edge (L/R) OR within Short (6") of your deployment zone edge.
    In the case of Outflank, it is likewise within Short (6") of any Flank (L/R).

Quote Originally Posted by Lleman View Post
    Flanks are both west/east, left/right sides of the table. It's neither the deployment zone nor a player's edge of the table.
    If you return a unit as in Here We Stand, it can be within Short (6") of any flank edge (L/R) OR within Short (6") of your deployment zone edge.
    In the case of Outflank, it is likewise within Short (6") of any Flank (L/R).

Can I get pointed to where this is specified? I just want to be able to show my locals one way or another. :] Nothing I've been able to find really defines Deployment stuff.

Definitions of table edges are worded in each Game Mode : Deployment table edges and Flank table edges (p.27 for A Game Of Thrones for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack006 View Post
    Definitions of table edges are worded in each Game Mode : Deployment table edges and Flank table edges (p.27 for A Game Of Thrones for example)

There is no definition at all within the bounds of the question I asked. To go back to my original question if you look at Here We Stand there is nothing to indicate where a Flank Edge stops or starts. There are two boxes for the Deployment Zones because they have to show you the space they fill. But there is nothing on the side in the narrow band of green in the center that says "Flank Edge" or anything like that. It's never defined anywhere, in any Mission. The closest thing is when they instruct you to place Objectives as it calls out Flank Edge and the Objectives are always outside the Deployment Zones but this doesn't say where they stop or start either. Since it isn't clear in the Rules and no one seems to be able to point to an answer in the Rules I'm hoping that I can get actual clarification. If I was to tell someone they can't Outflank a Unit in my Deployment Zone, as long as it was close enough to the side, they'd ask "Why?" and I'd have no good answer.

Again, not trying to make any jank work or anything. Just trying to get a definitive definition I can point to that is either from someone at CMON, which carries weight, or is clearly laid out in the official rules.

Flank means side, that's not even something that needs be defined in the rulebook or in any FAQ. I'm not trying to be an arse here but trying to find any other signification to it is obtuse at best, it's a term that carries its own very definite meaning, period.

As to a surface to which 'Flank' would correspond, it's simply the edge of the left/right side of your table; if you really need to deploy anything on the flank (e.g. with Outflank) it is (unless mentioned differently) within short/6" of the flank edge as written on the card.
    Last edited by Lleman; 12-02-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Flank means side, that's not even something that needs be defined in the rulebook or in any FAQ. I'm not trying to be an arse here but trying to find any other signification to it is obtuse at best, it's a term that carries its own very definite meaning, period.

As to a surface to which 'Flank' would correspond, it's simply the edge of the left/right side of your table; if you really need to deploy anything on the flank (e.g. with Outflank) it is (unless mentioned differently) within short/6" of the flank edge as written on the card.
    Haha yes Outflank wasn't the best ability to pull without reading it late at night. :] I will wait for an official answer regarding Here We Stand, none has been provided. You're free to insult me if you like, doesn't change the lack of a clear ruling.

Okay, last one given you keep returning to the case of Here We Stand (but valid regarding the 'flank' term for any game mode anyway): you may return units from either flank edges including the flank areas that were originally the deployment zones (but which are not deployment zones anymore once the first round starts since this is only used during the...*drumroll*... deployment phase). Flank edges being, in all logic, not player edges. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Lleman; 12-02-2021 at 05:05 PM.

Okay, last one given you keep returning to the case of Here We Stand (but valid regarding the 'flank' term for any game mode anyway): you may return units from either flank edges including the flank areas that were originally the deployment zones (but which are not deployment zones anymore once the first round starts since this is only used during the...*drumroll*... deployment phase). Flank edges being, in all logic, not player edges. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Hope this helps.
    That is what I believe as well but the issue is there is no evidence, it's RAI. I'll only take a direct quote from the Core Rules or other official media or a reply from a CMON Staffer. There needs to be a RAW instance to point to, or that's at least what I'm after. :] I don't see anything wrong with holding the writers to the fire a bit when they're unclear, I've played it as you've said but going back to my original predicament if someone says "No it doesn't work that way" that is just as valid as both of us saying yes it does. There needs to be a higher authority for an actual resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Verso View Post
    That is what I believe as well but the issue is there is no evidence, it's RAI. I'll only take a direct quote from the Core Rules or other official media or a reply from a CMON Staffer. There needs to be a RAW instance to point to, or that's at least what I'm after. :] I don't see anything wrong with holding the writers to the fire a bit when they're unclear, I've played it as you've said but going back to my original predicament if someone says "No it doesn't work that way" that is just as valid as both of us saying yes it does. There needs to be a higher authority for an actual resolution.
    I'm going to go back to Lleman on this one. You're asking for the game to define a word that already has a definition. Flank means sides, its not a game word or definition, its just a word. Even when the rulebook references the word, it never defines it, because it assumes you understand that "flank" means "side".