Selmy vs Mark Target

Thread: Selmy vs Mark Target

Default Selmy vs Mark Target

I have a rules question that we can't fully resolve in our community. The issue is with the Barristan Selmy's influence. If it is placed on a unit with the Mark Target order, can it cancel it's effect when the unit performs the order?? I assume it can't, but there is this debatable paragraph in the rulebook that says: "The unit with the Order is the target of that Order (if any), but notethat Its effect might list additional targets as well." On the other hand the order explicitly states that "Target 1 enemy ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kruker View Post
    I have a rules question that we can't fully resolve in our community. The issue is with the Barristan Selmy's influence. If it is placed on a unit with the Mark Target order, can it cancel it's effect when the unit performs the order?? I assume it can't, but there is this debatable paragraph in the rulebook that says: "The unit with the Order is the target of that Order (if any), but notethat Its effect might list additional targets as well." On the other hand the order explicitly states that "Target 1 enemy ..."
    Yes, you can stop the unit's own order with it.

The Barristan Selmy'a card is worded "While influencing a unit, each time that unit is targeted by an enemy Ability or Tactis card..."

So Selmy can't cancel an abitlity of the unit he is influencing since only enemy effects can be countered.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack006 View Post
    The Barristan Selmy'a card is worded "While influencing a unit, each time that unit is targeted by an enemy Ability or Tactis card..."

So Selmy can't cancel an abitlity of the unit he is influencing since only enemy effects can be countered.
    Enemy refers to effects not controlled by the card/unit's owner. If an enemy unit uses an Order on itself, he absolutely can cancel it.

The effects of this card are more subtle than they seem at first glance ...

Let's rewind a bit here, folks. The original question was about "Mark Target." the unit using that order is not the target of "Mark Target."

Let's be a bit more thoughtful here before we race to conclusions.

Example: Selmy influences Rodrick Cassel, Master-at-Arms' unit. Rodrick targets a Targaryen combat unit with "Mark Target." Selmy can do nothing to stop this, because the unit he's influencing is not the target of an enemy ability. Selmy's text is very much not that of "Subjugation of Power," so let's not pretend it is.

Quote Originally Posted by SupremeLeaderTywin View Post
    Let's rewind a bit here, folks. The original question was about "Mark Target." the unit using that order is not the target of "Mark Target."

Let's be a bit more thoughtful here before we race to conclusions.

Example: Selmy influences Rodrick Cassel, Master-at-Arms' unit. Rodrick targets a Targaryen combat unit with "Mark Target." Selmy can do nothing to stop this, because the unit he's influencing is not the target of an enemy ability. Selmy's text is very much not that of "Subjugation of Power," so let's not pretend it is.
    Wrong. It's in the rulebook. All orders are considered to target the unit they originate from.

Ah yes, I see that now, on page 22.

QQ: Why did no one bother to cite that here?

It's easy enough to give an authoritative and straightforward answer, so if you have the information, please cite it.