Woodland Scenics Realistic Water

Thread: Woodland Scenics Realistic Water

Default Woodland Scenics Realistic Water

I got this stuff yesterday and made a river and used it on a Gargoyle Base sofar. I just pore it and let it dry. But how do I get wrinkles in it, because I want to create a flowing river effect. I tried using a sculpting tool after I pored it in, but it just got flat again???

Originally posted by Demon Hunter
    I got this stuff yesterday and made a river and used it on a Gargoyle Base sofar. I just pore it and let it dry. But how do I get wrinkles in it, because I want to create a flowing river effect. I tried using a sculpting tool after I pored it in, but it just got flat again???
    You need another product called water effects. This stuff you pour and then sculpt.

Originally posted by atacam
    Originally posted by Demon Hunter
    You need another product called water effects. This stuff you pour and then sculpt.
    Do-h! There goes another 16 euro:(

Actually... according to The Scenery Manual the Woodland Scenics manual on railway landscape modeling (published in 1996... they don\'t really change it much and i\'m a wee bit on the poor side:P) they say;

\"We recommend Woodland Scenics E-Z Water for modeling water areas. It is a low odor, nontoxic plastic product that comes in the form of pellets which are melted and poured into the prepared area on the layout. It is particularly apporpriate for water areas where you want to model flowing water such as creeks, streams, or rivers. E-Z Water is easy to use because there is no measuring, no mixing, and it sets rapidly. Texturing of the water surface and repairs such as scratches can easily be accomplished after E-Z Water is in place with the use of a heat gun.\" [pg. 100, The Scenery Manual]

That should be enough to steer you in the right direction, but i\'d suggest picking up a copy of The Manual if you make very much terrain. It\'s an invalueable tool IMHO. It\'s full of \"tech tips\" such as coloring the water preparing the spot the water\'s going in a whole article on producing the various textures in the water and even detailing the landscape after you finish pouring your water. You can\'t go wrong.;)

Hope this helped some,
    nick-

Oh, i actually have a bag of the stuff... i\'ll snap a pic and post it... hold on

Originally posted by Itchy
    Actually... according to The Scenery Manual the Woodland Scenics manual on railway landscape modeling (published in 1996... they don\'t really change it much and i\'m a wee bit on the poor side:P) they say;

\"We recommend Woodland Scenics E-Z Water for modeling water areas. It is a low odor, nontoxic plastic product that comes in the form of pellets which are melted and poured into the prepared area on the layout. It is particularly apporpriate for water areas where you want to model flowing water such as creeks, streams, or rivers. E-Z Water is easy to use because there is no measuring, no mixing, and it sets rapidly. Texturing of the water surface and repairs such as scratches can easily be accomplished after E-Z Water is in place with the use of a heat gun.\" [pg. 100, The Scenery Manual]

That should be enough to steer you in the right direction, but i\'d suggest picking up a copy of The Manual if you make very much terrain. It\'s an invalueable tool IMHO. It\'s full of \"tech tips\" such as coloring the water preparing the spot the water\'s going in a whole article on producing the various textures in the water and even detailing the landscape after you finish pouring your water. You can\'t go wrong.;)

Hope this helped some,
    nick-
    Realistic Water is a newer producht than E-Z Water;) You have to heat E-Z Water and than pour it, it smells real bad and the quality isn\'t as good as Realistic Water. Realistic Water is direclty pourable:)

Ok... i took a pic, then relaized there\'s probably already a million pics of it, so rather than use up my bandwidth i googled it... it\'s the stuff in the yellow bag

Ahh... yeah... i know you gotta heat a pour the pellets, it\'s what i use.

See, sometimes being poor\'s a disadvantagelol

I too have the E Z Water, but it keeps going brown. I find it tricky to use as you need to heat it to just the right temprature. Also if you are not to careful it will melt whatever you pour it on to:(

Very true. What i always (and i mean always) do is make the general shape of the river, fountain... whatever you\'re making... out of foam or cardboard then do a layer over that in Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty. It\'s the consistancy of mud when it\'s mixed and you can carve texture into it and paint it after it hardens. It\'s also good about holding up to the heat of E-Z Water. Dang... now i wanna go build a fountain.

Originally posted by Itchy
    Very true. What i always (and i mean always) do is make the general shape of the river, fountain... whatever you\'re making... out of foam or cardboard then do a layer over that in Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty. It\'s the consistancy of mud when it\'s mixed and you can carve texture into it and paint it after it hardens. It\'s also good about holding up to the heat of E-Z Water. Dang... now i wanna go build a fountain.
    Got any pics of this stuff, and links?

Well, it\'s a powder that you mix with tap water to form a putty. i think it was originally made to fill knots in wood working as it holds stains and paints very nicely. But i also know that model rocket builders (the folks who build their own at home) use it to make the nozzles of their model rockets. So i figured it\'d hold the heat of E-Z Water no problem and i does. It comes in one or four pound containers... i paid 7 bucks for a four pound can at my local hardware store.

Looks like this;

Here\'s the manufactorer\'s page;
    http://www.waterputty.com/

I use it also to make mud bases on minis... check my galary to see some of that. It does exspand a teeny tiny bit when it hardens, but no enough to break anything. Just enough to grab whatever it\'s put on. I know a lot of people use it to cast parts too. Oh, and i\'ve been told it\'s machinable, but i\'ve never tryed it.

Thanks Itchy, I will have a search for this in the UK.

Default resin & foil method

I have never tried this method, but in one of the \"bibles\" ... the Shep Paine Dioramas book, he mentions pouring resin in several layers ... the first to get the depth of the water and a 2nd more shallow level to get the \"details\" and after the 2nd layer is poured, he suggests using some heavy duty crumpled aluminum foil to create the waves. Make sure that you don\'t get any resin on top of the foil or you won\'t be able to pull the foil away after the resin has set.

Seems to make sense ... just can\'t tell you anything more than this 2nd hand info.

I hope it helps.
    jim

Default fountains & spouts

A cool way to do fountains and spouts is to drill a small hole into the \"base\" water and very carefully glue a few pieces of nylon fishing line into the base ... these can be curved a bit to give the proper shape to your fountain/spout. Then use the Woodland Scenics water effects to \"sculpt\" in the water for the spout. Works really well. I\'ve got one piece here on CMON where I did this :

http://www.coolminiornot.com/6288

Again, I hope this helps.
    jim

Default using plaster for large water

You can also pour plaster and while it\'s setting up, use your favorite sculpting tool (mine is the back of a spoon) to create waves. I did this for my Ford of Bruinen diorama and while some may not like the light colors I used on the water, I think the texture of the water is pretty cool. Here\'s a link:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/3573

As you can see, I like doing water and have tried a number of techniques. Feel free to send me a message if you\'d like more detail.

jim

Atacam: No prob, anything to help a fellow mini hobbyest.

Sivousplay: Wow, seriously nice stuff there. Like your water affects a lot. Seems somebody should be doing some articles;)