You buggers were right!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: You buggers were right!!!

  1. #1
    donga666
    Guest

    Default You buggers were right!!!

    Well! After ages of reading articles about using differant media with your paints. I finally got off my back-side and went to my local Art shop (The Art Shop, York - good name:rolleyes: ) and spent some of my precious pennies on some:

    Windsor & Newton- Flow improver

    Windsor & Newton- Drying Retarder

    The WN Flow improver is great! It even makes GW paint easy to use and makes surface coverage ALOT better. A recommended buy (Dragonsreach: It does taste HORRIBLE, for those \'paintbrush suckers\' out there).

    BUT it pales in comparison to WN Drying Retarder, it makes blending SO easy and it takes SO long to dry. So you need very little (my tube will maybe last as long as my stockpile of Mini\'s:rolleyes: ). It has revolutionised my flat blending/layering/feathering (whatever!), its always workable!! The only downside to it is is that it is a little \'gloopy\' (technical term lol ) but this is sorted out by WN Flow improver ! Ta Da!!!

    So thank you! It\'s taken me a long time to take any notice, but it got there in the end.

    Andy :D

  2. #2

    Default Told you so...

    Better late than never, huh? :duh: And don\'t worry about the foul taste... you\'ll learn to savour it!! :D It\'s an aquired taste! I use Liquitex equivalents, and they taste just as horribly, but I don\'t mind anymore! :innocent:

  3. #3
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,304
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    donga666
    (Dragonsreach: It does taste HORRIBLE, for those \'paintbrush suckers\' out there).
    Well I did warn you...
    ...However nothing, and I mean Nothing has ever tasted quite so horrible as when my mother washed out my vacuum flask with Domestos (Bleach) as there was a slight tinge to the inside.

    She forgot to rinse it properly and also didn\'t tell me she\'d done it.

    Black coffee and bleach don\'t mix, but I did have the whitest teeth in the office.

  4. #4

    Default

    I have both liquitex drying retarder and flow improver, but I usually shy away from using them since they tast so horrible :P
    Plus I haven\'t figured out a good way to use them, how do you do it ? put some drops on the pallet and use it pure in the undiluted paints ? (that\'s what I try to do, seems to work with the flow improver but I\'m having trouble making the retarder work )

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by frenchkid
    I have both liquitex drying retarder and flow improver, but I usually shy away from using them since they tast so horrible :P
    Sissy!! :P ;)
    Originally posted by frenchkid
    Plus I haven\'t figured out a good way to use them, how do you do it ? put some drops on the pallet and use it pure in the undiluted paints ? (that\'s what I try to do, seems to work with the flow improver but I\'m having trouble making the retarder work )
    I usually put the retarder straight into the paint on my pallette. About 1 drop for each 5 drops of paint. A pipette is very useful for this. Don\'t overdose the retarder, though, because then the paint won\'t dry ever!

    The flow improver is different. I prepare some in a little pot next to my pallette. 1 drop of flow improver and 20 drops of water. I then use this to dilute my paint.

    HTH

  6. #6

    Default

    Wow. I have to get some of this stuff. Looks like I\'m doing mail order. Does anyone know a Canadian, or British art store that I can order it from?



    Originally posted by donga666
    Well! After ages of reading articles about using differant media with your paints. I finally got off my back-side and went to my local Art shop (The Art Shop, York - good name:rolleyes: ) and spent some of my precious pennies on some:

    Windsor & Newton- Flow improver

    Windsor & Newton- Drying Retarder

    The WN Flow improver is great! It even makes GW paint easy to use and makes surface coverage ALOT better. A recommended buy (Dragonsreach: It does taste HORRIBLE, for those \'paintbrush suckers\' out there).

    BUT it pales in comparison to WN Drying Retarder, it makes blending SO easy and it takes SO long to dry. So you need very little (my tube will maybe last as long as my stockpile of Mini\'s:rolleyes: ). It has revolutionised my flat blending/layering/feathering (whatever!), its always workable!! The only downside to it is is that it is a little \'gloopy\' (technical term lol ) but this is sorted out by WN Flow improver ! Ta Da!!!

    So thank you! It\'s taken me a long time to take any notice, but it got there in the end.

    Andy :D

  7. #7
    donga666
    Guest

    Default

    Originally posted by Ebonbuddha
    Wow. I have to get some of this stuff. Looks like I\'m doing mail order. Does anyone know a Canadian, or British art store that I can order it from?
    The easy way is to type in \'art supplies\' into Google (I found a Dull-cote supplier in the UK that way :cool: ) or any other search engine. I can\'t recommend any cos\' there\'s a WN dealer 20 mins walk from my house :bouncy: But look locally first, there WILL be equivalents. Any where that sells Artists Acrylics (don\'t matter about manufacturer) OR Vallejo do a drying retarder (same i think, Model colour range).

    Dragonsreach: :|~ Nasty!

  8. #8
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,304
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Originally by Donga666.
    Dragonsreach :|~ Nasty!

    I can be. ;)

  9. #9

    Default

    Does anyone know if there is a good equivalent from Folk Arts? I just can\'t get anything else around here except GW paints, and it sounds like it can really help my blending...

  10. #10
    donga666
    Guest

    Default

    Originally posted by nir200
    Does anyone know if there is a good equivalent from Folk Arts? I just can\'t get anything else around here except GW paints, and it sounds like it can really help my blending...
    Don\'t know who Folk Arts are, but if they produce Artists Quality Acrylics they should do an equivalent. But have a look at your local Arts & Crafts store (NOT games store, unless they sell Vallejo Model colour).

    Use the force ;)

  11. #11

    Default yup!

    Originally posted by nir200
    Does anyone know if there is a good equivalent from Folk Arts? I just can\'t get anything else around here except GW paints, and it sounds like it can really help my blending...
    I think this will help....It is called Folk Art Extender.

    http://www.plaidonline.com/productDetail.asp?itemID=947&productName=FolkArt+% AE+Mediums&Cat1ID=&Cat2ID=&Cat3ID=&brandID=&keywor ds=&New=False&Closeout=False&HotDeal=False&page=1


    I bought some at the local \"Michaels\" and it is very cheap.

    I don\'t know how it compares to the W&N stuff (since I\'ve never used that), but the Folk Art stuff does help smooth the paints a bit better and makes it dry much much slower.

    I use it similar to how Ritual uses his stuff, put a drop or two in a bit of water and then thin my paints with that.

    For the extremely economical cost, it is hard to not at least give it a go.

  12. #12
    donga666
    Guest

    Default

    There you go, i said there would be an equivalent :D

    Nice one Supervike!;)

  13. #13

    Default

    Thanks for the link...I really think this kind of thing can really save my blending attempts...and with a bit of luck, I might just post a mini I tried this on. Wish me good luck!:rolleyes:

    Use force: blend. I said blend! blend, I tell you, blend!...ha...there is an extended disturbance in the force.:(

    By the way, while we are on this whole subject, do you have any other products you find useful?

  14. #14
    donga666
    Guest

    Default

    The best \'product\' is patients, resist the urge to throw mini\'s against walls!
    Difficult I know :mad:

    But, \'stay on target\' even when there\'s Tie Fighters on your tail ???

  15. #15

    Default

    grrr, I keep telling myself I\'ll try these things one day! I am just slow to change :(

  16. #16
    Aragorns_mate
    Guest

    Default

    you know what guys, all ive ever used practically is the GW piants straight out of the pot, obviously watered down but even so, ill pick up some of that W&N stuff this weekend when i go to my local hobby craft super store :D

    thanks for the recomendations

    ill let you know how i get on with it

    - gez

  17. #17
    praetorian0_1
    Guest

    Default

    I am running to get some of that cheapa$$ folkart Michaels stuff. Sweet!

  18. #18

    Default

    I have found the Vallejo drying retarder to be pretty nice, I am able to get better blends(at least for me :D) and it keeps longer in my pallet. I have been using the same paint for about a week now with out doing anything to it. Other than mixxing it. WOW I am a real slow painter!

  19. #19

    Default

    And I thought Donga didn\'t need any more retarding!:D

  20. #20

    Default

    I\'m opening myself up on this one, but what the heck. A cheap medium for extending acrylic paints is KY Jelly. It works pretty well and can be found in most drugstores and department stores. While I\'ve used this on miniatures, I generally use this stuff on other kinds of art projects.

    There. I said it. Let the hijacking of the thread commence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->