special effects for mini\'s

Thread: special effects for mini\'s

Default special effects for mini\'s

I was toying with the idea of creating special effects for mini\'s. Mainly magic or Wizard accessories for diorama type models. Keep in mind I may use the ideas discussed here to make pieces to sell on my site.
    My ideas:
    1.Lightning type bolts of magic
    2.Fireball of magic
    3.Raw energy missles of magic
    4.Explosive birst ( like it just hit the target )
    The translucent colors I can make are crystal clear, red, green, and blue. It produces neon type effects within the resin. So far I am just experimenting with it.
    Clay Crutcher
    Modelers Attic

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

:D don\'t forget water effects

Default That sounds like a good idea..

Off the top of my head...how about:

Muzzle flash - perhaps various sizes
    Smoke...that would be fantastic in any form
    Electrical arcing
    Ground impact

I am sure there are lots...but I wouldn\'t have the first idea where you\'d begin..

Water effects, can use the clear for that.
    As for the muzzle flash I have 2 or 3 sculpted, but I am trying to make a kit that can go with it. The electrical arcs\' I may can do with the clear plus some silver filler powder. Ground impacts are tricky, but possible. The smoke is the thing I don\'t think I can make. I did put a 1x4 lip board around the gaming table once then used dry ice and water to make a fog on the table. It was cool till the dry ice ran out. The only problem with dry ice smoke is it is heavier than air. It sinks instead of going up like smoke.
    Thanks for the comments wiccanpony & finn17.
    I will check in later:)
    Clay Crutcher
    Modelers Attic

Originally posted by modelersattic
    I did put a 1x4 lip board around the gaming table once then used dry ice and water to make a fog on the table. It was cool till the dry ice ran out. The only problem with dry ice smoke is it is heavier than air. It sinks instead of going up like smoke.
    Whooaaaa.....your gaming partners must love you!

Muzzle flash would be great, for sure....another idea would be to make some flame or flameish type flying stands, to replace those horrible clear plastic ones you get by default. Could work with a wide range of stuff, although I guess it\'d be more sci-fi oriented than fantasy....

praetorian0_1

The steel wool painted to look like smoke or exaust works for me.:)

Good ideas, I guess I will use the default pieces you get as a muasure.
    I will play around with the resin and dye, but keep posting. Dry ice is available at most Baskin & Robbins ice cream places. Also some Kroger stores. Nelson Just drop a piece, in some water and you have fog. I used a small glass, like a shot glass.
    Steel wool works, I just wanted to try it with resin. Have a great day.
    Clay Crutcher
    Modelers Attic

Default That\'s a great idea!

[quote]Originally posted by Nelson
    Originally posted by modelersattic
    ....another idea would be to make some flame or flameish type flying stands, to replace those horrible clear plastic ones you get by default.
    Anything would be better than those standard flying stands...they haven\'t changed in ages:(

Don\'t forget about fur! Not just the way cat does it, but I\'m trying to find a method for a kind NMM sheen to black fur or hair that looks real.. The cat\'s in my lap, so there\'s a good start! :P

Default Good idea Chrispy..

But I am not quite sure how Clay would actually cast that one up???

praetorian0_1

Dead rat pushed into clay???

Try the hair off a spider.
    Clay Crutcher
    Modelers Attic

SUCCESS on the bolt of magic! I just pulled it from the mold. It is a neon green bolt of magic about the same length as the GW clear flame template. The diameter is 3/16\" to 1/8\" I am working on the end to fan out the bolts like the wide end of the GW flame template. I will post a picture when I am done.
    Clay Crutcher
    Modelers Attic