What are your preferred paints?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your preferred paints?

Default What are your preferred paints?

I\'m curious as to what most people use for paints these days and why. I personally use Vallejo and Citadel, but I\'m intrigued with the recent Reaper Master Series Paints.

So what is your preferred paint?

Shadzar

anyone remember armory paints?

i still got a full jar of \"nipple pink\" that is good, but i dont know what to use it for. :(

wyrmling_x

Originally posted by Shadzar

i still got a full jar of \"nipple pink\" that is good, but i dont know what to use it for. :(
    Grab yourself a handful of Daemonettes, and your problem is solved! ;) Nipples aplenty!

Anyways, I\'ve yet to run out of Citadel paints, thus preventing me from using Vallejo. So right now, it\'s Citadel for me.

Wyrmling, I think I\'m in the exact same place as you, just working through citadel and as they run out switch over

Wolf_Fang

citadel because its all i can buy here other then testors and i dont like testors for minis

Shadzar

Originally posted by wyrmling_x

Grab yourself a handful of Daemonettes, and your problem is solved! ;) Nipples aplenty!

Anyways, I\'ve yet to run out of Citadel paints, thus preventing me from using Vallejo. So right now, it\'s Citadel for me.
    now there is a thought.

if you need more citadel colour just let me know...

lol

I use a variety of paints, Reaper, GW, Vallejo MC, Vallejo GC. I am quickly becoming fond of the Vallejo lines.

@ Shadzar thats alot of paint did you own your own store?

Originally posted by wyrmling_x

I have about 30 to paint soon....I think that translates to around 120 nipples, give or take a few pairs? That\'s a whole lotta nipples!!! lol

Shadzar

Originally posted by Drake Farstrider
    I use a variety of paints, Reaper, GW, Vallejo MC, Vallejo GC. I am quickly becoming fond of the Vallejo lines.

well sorta kinda....i did on online for about 3 months before the GW forced all internet sales to stop. so i got about $2000+ USD left of 40k merchandise that i didnt get sold.

i opened the 11 battleforces i had and trying to sell them of little bits at a time on eBay...like a sprue here or there. but sprues stopped selling and eBay came out with that new \"My\" eBay 2.0 and i left for a while.

i got a bit left...just wish i could have not got stopped by GW cause i was doing good selling stuff at 30% off. and the funny thing is i was buying aftermarket stuff. not even directly from a GW distributor.

~shrugs~ oh well.

Blog Entries

Here we go again... ;)

(Drinks a shot of Capt. Morgan)

Vallejo is my choice, mostly Model Color. Reaper Pro aren\'t bad, either, but VMC works best for me.

There are many other threads on this subject, too... The most recent before this one is:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=7202

I use a mix of Reaper Pro Paints and Citadel...

Pirate_Wench

dulux interior satin.

I used to use the enamacryl because it dries glossy and saved me the trouble of having to varnish my minis. But it doesn\'t come in test pot size so is a bit uneconomical so now I just give them a dunk in flooring grade polyurethane when I am done

i use delta ceramcoat mostly, some old ral partha (still very good), very very few GW, and all my washes are hand mixed. yeah yeah i\'m weird!!!

be well.
    paul mauer

Originally posted by Drake Farstrider

well sorta kinda....i did on online for about 3 months before the GW forced all internet sales to stop. so i got about $2000+ USD left of 40k merchandise that i didnt get sold.

i opened the 11 battleforces i had and trying to sell them of little bits at a time on eBay...like a sprue here or there. but sprues stopped selling and eBay came out with that new \"My\" eBay 2.0 and i left for a while.

i got a bit left...just wish i could have not got stopped by GW cause i was doing good selling stuff at 30% off. and the funny thing is i was buying aftermarket stuff. not even directly from a GW distributor.

~shrugs~ oh well.
    That really blows man. :flame: GW. I know that when I heard that they were closing down internet sellers that I thought that it was wrong. I am still not sure how legal it was but how do you fight a multi-million dollar company? Well hopefully you did not lose money.

Blog Entries

Yeah, pretty dastardly if you ask me. If I recall, their excuse was something to the effect of it was cutting in to the local game stores\' sales or something, but I think it was more a power-grab thing in them trying to keep control.

(And I\'m pouring a shot, since it is likely this will go into a \"Hate GW\" thread... ;))

Hi,

i paint with oil painting :cool:
    I use extrafined color.
    I use especially Winsor & Newton, but i like much test others colors. So, i have Dayler & Rowney, Lefranc-Bourgeois, Rembrandt...
    I would like buy some colors of Mussini, but it\'s difficult in France to find its :(
    I use acrylics color for the backgrounds (Prince August or Andrea Color)
    Yannick

Originally posted by Valander
    Yeah, pretty dastardly if you ask me. If I recall, their excuse was something to the effect of it was cutting in to the local game stores\' sales or something, but I think it was more a power-grab thing in them trying to keep control.

(And I\'m pouring a shot, since it is likely this will go into a \"Hate GW\" thread... ;))
    I thought that they also said something along the lines that it was infringing on their intellectual properties.

Shot of Vodka on the way...:D

MalleusMiniArt

I use Vallejo Model Color and Citadel paints. Recently , thanks to Yandegio tips I`ve started experimenting with oils.
    Hope to test Reaper Master Series and Derivan paints in the future :).

Shadzar

Drake: not realy. all those paint only cost me $100 USD. there were more, but they got sold so i only have $100 left invested in the 300+ bottles of paint in that image.

and if you think along the lines of i have $2000 worth of 40k stuff i bought at below wholesale cost then.....well you get the idea. (ie necrom monolith i paid $18 for). i just bought stuff from stores that were hit by GW when they started cancelling retail stores so they could open their own GW store in that city.

also i just found the paint i use for my dark angels. Apple Barrel Colors: Hunter Green. an 8 oz bottle cost about $2 USD, and when thinned and used over a black basecoat i cant tell the different from it and GW Dark Angels Green. cept for getting 8 oz for $2 and it would take 20 bottles of citadel color to equal that much!

i wonder if anyone uses finger paints (thinned greatly of course) to paint minis.

Blog Entries

I used to be really big on the craft paints (Delta Ceramacoat, Apple Barrel, etc.), thinking pretty much that they couldn\'t be that much different, and that they definitely cost a LOT less. After several years of trying other stuff, all I can say is that the only thing that\'s true is that they cost less.

The pigmentation in craft and ceramic paints isn\'t ground anywhere near as fine as it is in even GW paints (which suck in my opinon), and this results in two things: making washes/glazes out of them is really difficult, and they can very easily get grainy.

I suppose, though, that a lot of it really depends on your techniques. I\'ve seen some things posted here on CMON that say they were done with craft paints, and they look just fine. I\'d like to see them up close, though, because my own experience suggests that they\'ll not look as good.

Anyway, the best thing to do is, I think, try several different brands and use whichever one works best with your style and technique of painting.

(Oh, and I still use craft paints all the time. For the price, they\'re great to use on terrain, and I\'m not wasting my Vallejos painting up a 2\'x2\' gaming board! ;) )