A question for the sculpters

Thread: A question for the sculpters

Default A question for the sculpters

Margo\'s CMON members in miniature got me thinking...
    How much would it cost to have someone do a sculpt of your head for a mini?

Say, I wanted to have my head put on the 54mm Brother Artemis body.

Any Ideas?

I do not do character sculpts, too many talents out in the world for me to join in, but I would imagine not very much. When I do heads, I make it up as I sculpt, so each one is different. I never tried to do a copy of anyone. The time is about 30 minutes for a 25mm. So for a 54 maybe an hour or so. Have a good one Evil Dave...
    Clay Crutcher
    Modelers Attic

Originally posted by modelersattic
    I do not do character sculpts, too many talents out in the world for me to join in, but I would imagine not very much. When I do heads, I make it up as I sculpt, so each one is different. I never tried to do a copy of anyone. The time is about 30 minutes for a 25mm. So for a 54 maybe an hour or so. Have a good one Evil Dave...
    Clay Crutcher
    Modelers Attic
    You say you imagine not very much... but you are talking about design as you go sculpting which is what I do too (though I sure need more time to sculpt a head than you do, well often atleast).
    This is a easier and less timeconsuming than creating a good representing portrait (which is an art in it\'s own). (while I haven\'t done this in sculpt I have drawn a fair few pencil portraits and also there getting a real good likeness and not a general maked up face takes a fair amount of time). So I think the not so much might be a wrong guess for I think the price would be relative high for just the head scupt. But I\'m guessing here too. I don\'t know many sculpters who do this and are good at it...Well kev White is one of them. He e-bayed a get your portrait sculpted on an existing mini auction a while back.

That\'s correct. The highest winning bid was for £50, but he wanted an inquisitor (54mm) scale miniature with his face on it (I think it was Artemis, is he the SM?) so paid 50% more...... £75 :D

Oh. It\'s not something I do anymore because it\'s too time consuming,

I do actually have experience at doing a portrait (my own - see avatar) though I\'ve only done this once. It does take more time than just sculpting a face. First you have to study as many photographs of that face as possible to get a feel for the particular features and shapes and when sculpting you have to keep on referring to the pictures to check. And you also have to keep yourself from making the mistake to make the face too flat. Pictures are 2d so you have that tendendy. And the risk of scale creep is bigger because you concentrate on the face that much.

I\'ve not logged the time I used on that project but should be able to tell you more in a couple of months as I\'ll be using Peter (Avicenna) as a model for my VIP space pirate. Quick guess would be 6 hours since a character face already takes me up to 4 hours. 30 minutes would be rank and file with me without anything special.

Price? It\'s too uncommon a project to set a real price. You\'d have to ask that to specific sculptors (not me, I\'m not interested in conversion).

@Hasslefriesian. How much time did you use for that face? And is there a picture of that mini? I totally missed that project.