Age! Does it matter when painting? How old are you? Vote now and leave your thoughts! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Age! Does it matter when painting? How old are you? Vote now and leave your thoughts!

Default health risks

I am in the 30-40 category. I have had tendinitis/bursitis for about 8 years in my mousing arm--it\'s from computer work. I work in IT, so it\'s not likely I\'ll be able to get away from the computer any time soon.

Anyway, I find that if I spend a couple of hours painting, it aggravates my shoulder and elbow pain that day. After I\'ve slept, I don\'t really notice a difference, but I don\'t paint as often as some folks, either.

Also, in the last three years or so I\'ve noticed that my eyeballs are getting more and more tired. A couple of years ago I started wearing glasses all the time (I\'m farsighted, so they\'re magnifying glasses). This year, I got a special set just for my hobbies--they\'re made to focus about a foot or a foot and a half from my face, perfect for painting minis, reading books, and the like. They alleviate the tiredness considerably, but I can\'t see any further than two feet without taking them off. I suspect it won\'t be long before I\'m asking for bifocals, just because I love to read, have to stare at computers all day, and yet still have to see to drive. Changing glasses is a pain.

When I was younger, I didn\'t use glasses--the muscles in my eyeballs were strong enough to compensate for the irregularity in my vision, and the muscles didn\'t seem to get tired. Now, I\'m tiring. So, no actual change in my health per se, just a desire to have my hobbies be less work for the pleasure.

As far as age vs skill, I was always pretty skilled at drawing and painting. My sculpting is fairly crude, but I have always had very fine control over pencils. I never tried painting minis until the last five years or so, so I don\'t know if I\'m better now than I would have been then. I do know I have less patience and less tolerance for discomfort. I used to be able to sit in one position and lose myself in the artwork for hours on end. Now I\'m more conscious of stiff muscles, hunger, and other distractions. Now I\'m more of a dabbler. That probably makes me a poorer painter than I could be. I guess I need to develop a style that doesn\'t require 4-8 hours of concentrated painting. I have an hour a day I could probably use for painting, but it\'s hard to get over the thought that I need to have a significant chunk of time in order to get anything worthwhile done.

kannan_fodder

I\'m in my mid 30s, have been painting off and on for about the past 15 years or so, and feel that my skills still have a long way to go. I have yet to find any health hazards of painting - other than super-gluing my fingers together/to my minis/to the cat, rabid X-acto knives, and blisters from stuck GW paint jars.

However, I have found some benefits to painting:
    Reduces stress and lets you relax
    Alleviates migraines (at least for me!)
    Helps improve concentration, focus, and patience
    Satisfaction from a job well done
    Keeps you off the streets and out of trouble

Default shock of the old

At 50, I\'ve got used to feeling like a methuselah in this hobby and just assumed everyone else was much younger. So this thread comes as something of a surprise. :wow:

Maybe I\'m not such a strange and twisted deviant after all . . . . no, on second thoughts, I probably am.

i think that if one starts soon has more time to improve his painting tecnique so older is betterlol(i\'m 24) but i have to notice that the older you get the less time you have for painting...
    why i cannot do nothing for all the day?why i must crop a hour between morning and afternoon to paint?

i think that another interesting question is: \"how long you paint in a day?\"

At 43 I find the more I paint the better I get. After a stop of 7 years due to work and female intervention on life (she didn\'t appreciate me not being in the same room wanting to watch the programs she wanted to watch, although I have swung her around to my way of thinking now) the only thing that stands in my way most of the time is the computer and the urge to surf CMON all the time.
    I enjoy the challenge of trying some of the techneques that were not around when I first started painting in the early eighties and as a gamer as well as painting I believe everybody that games should be able to paint as I hate playing against badly painted mini\'s.:bouncy:

Default Age is an Asset

Age is an Asset is an inside joke for just me. I work at the Department of Labor and we give a workshop for folks 40 and up on how to sell their age as a positive asset as opposed to a detriment.

I am 29. The more I paint the more I want to paint. It\'s usurping my very life. I have been painting for about 3 or 4 years off and on. I\'d say I\'ve definitely improved with age.

I think there are two aspects to skill. There is the physical and the mental. I think, unless you suffer from Alzeimers, the mental skills don\'t deminish. If you are dedicated they will only improve. The physical skills, however, can receed as sure as my hairline is. Eye sight, hand-eye coordiation, manual dexterity and steady hands can all go with age. So, if we can hold at bay the physical deterioration, we will only get better.

I feel like the last year has seen great strides in my skill. I am not good with coordinating colors. There are some models here where the painter used pastels and I thought, I never would have thought of this! There are also some models where the painter chose to use one color in many different shades, and one where the painter used every color under the sun. All these models were quite good. I hope that by keeping an open mind and a willingness to learn I can improve my skills to the quality of what I see here.

barkel

ps. Someone mentioned that arthritis won\'t bother the majority of viewers here because we aren\'t 60. My wife has arthritis and she is 28. It usually begins earlier than 60, but we associate it with the elderly. Take care of your hands peopel!!!!

Originally posted by reverend
    ...Then, with the help of the Raelian Sect we could kidnap these people, isolate their painting genes and harvest their skills in an army of cloned super painters. Mwuhaaa haaaahaaaa!!!!!! laughter fades... :innocent:
    Funny you should mention this tactic. I\'m a geneticist (Ph.D in genetics). I can tell you right now it wouldn\'t work...but it\'s a fun wish!

Seriously, I hadn\'t picked up a paintbrush in over 20 years, but just started again. I\'ve learned much greater patience, but I find that as I get older, I have to steady my hands to keep them from shaking. Could be the 2 liters of Mountain Dew I drink every day that does that, though.:o

Well, with age usually comes patience, and in this hobby, patience happens to be the foremost quality, along with a modicum of hand/eye skills.

So, if you happen to have children, stop nagging at them about how many time they spend on videogames, since it\'s good to develop the hand/eye coordination they\'ll need later, if they choose to get into miniature painting (Or be the Quake All-Star Champion) ;)

Originally posted by Lai
    i think that another interesting question is: \"how long you paint in a day?\"
    I am 26, soon to be 27, and I didn\'t take up miniature painting until I was 22 though I have been involved in art all of my life. I paint figures about three hours a day five days a week.

Personally I see no great advantage to being any particular age. Painting of any kind is a matter of practice and talent. The older you are the more time you have had to practice, but it doesn\'t mean that you have. Likewise we see people on this site all of the time who have been painting or modeling for a couple years that still manage to blow us away.

Tirnan

Default Just coming back

Well, I\'m 33 now and haven\'t painted in 7 years. I\'m absolutely untalented as an artist, but seem to do so so on mini\'s for a variety of reasons.

Now I have never been able to say draw a realistic looking ball on paper, but for some reason working in 3d I can visualize how light should hit it and work from there.

I still have the first mini\'s I painted about 11 years ago (yes they are ugly!!!). poor marines. Heres a funny one though, I was taught by a pair of true artists back then.

One seemed to preform near miraculous work, but was such a perfectionist that he never had more than a few mini\'s done. I actually bought about 10 eldar from him one time because he was about to strip them for the 5th time. He probably painted to about an 8 or 9 level on CMON. Zen master artist secrets taught by Dave... You can spend 60+ hours on a mini and make it perfect in every way. All will fear the primer white army with the awesome detailed leader.

The other guy would blow me away with simple quality and speed. In 4 hours I would have the basic colors and some of the detail done on a simple mini... KC would have painted an entire squad with a simple wash and highlight, some detail and a simple base. Zen master lesson taught... all my decently painted squads look better than your white army with awesome leader.

I have never considered myself an artist, more a lover of well done art. Someday I hope to combine reasonable speed with some stunning detail.

Hmmm and on the GW paints issue... My pots of stuff in the flip top lids are still good, while the new paint pots from GW I bought last year have already had a few die off to to dryness.

For4 those of you just recently returned (or who took a few years off at some point), did you come back to any unfinished projects? LOL I have an old style Eldar Avatar I put massive time into and now have to try to remember what I was doing so I can finish him off.

For now I\'m back to basics and doing up some grots in basic color schemes to get the whole blending, inking, highlighting, blacklining and drybrushing techniques down again... poor grots.

Maybe Im wierd, but I consider playing 40k (my poison of choice) and painting to be two seperate, yet related hobbies. I play for the love of the tactical challenge, I paint to see how things look and what I can do.

enough babbling by me, just glad I found this sight. Your guys work is inspiring and sometimes invoke awe. Now I just have to get a better understanding of all this FFW, extenders, NMM etc stuff.

Who authorized the introduction of new terms while I was away?

Tirnan
    \"the part you are admiring took me about 35 seconds as an afterthought on the way here today, the part you say looks a bit hurried I spent 22 hours on last week, the look on my face says one of us will be visiting the hospital momentarily\"

Quote \"Hmmm and on the GW paints issue... My pots of stuff in the flip top lids are still good, while the new paint pots from GW I bought last year have already had a few die off to to dryness.

For4 those of you just recently returned (or who took a few years off at some point), did you come back to any unfinished projects? LOL I have an old style Eldar Avatar I put massive time into and now have to try to remember what I was doing so I can finish him off.\"

Yep the old GW flip tops do keep for longer after a 7 year break the only ones I had to throw were some of the metalics the rest are fine compared to the new ones which even after a day require somebosy of Arnies build to open them.
    As for unfinished projects I still have them unfinished consisting of 2 epic scale revenant titans, 10 savage orc archers and 2 90mm figures.
    :flip: