GOLDENHAMMER @ DragonFlight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOLDENHAMMER @ DragonFlight

Default GOLDENHAMMER @ DragonFlight

Hello Painters,

I am holding a Paint compitition at DragonFlight 2005 in Seattle WA. If your in the area and would like to enter the paint contest please register for the Game Convention @ http://www.dragonflight.org/ and for more info on the GOLDENHAMMER check out: http://thepryde.com/GH.htm

I hope to see you there. This is a SAP event. ( Seattle Area Painters )

Blog Entries

Aww, crap. I was hoping you wouldn\'t tell anyone, so I could enter and sweep. ;)

Just kidding. Though it\'s unsure yet as to whether I\'ll be entering or helping out with judging.

Very cool ... I\'ve been hoping that some contests might pop up in the Northwest ... Portland is only a few hours away ... I\'ll definitely be there!!

jim

Oh, BTW any scale and/or size constraints? Or any other rules about the entries?

thanks,
    jim

Blog Entries

Crud, now I\'d have to compete against Jim, too? That\'s it, I\'m just judging. ;)

I don\'t think that there\'s really a limit on what kind of entries or anything. I\'m pretty sure that Jeff has a few categories in mind, but they may change depending on what kind of entries he gets.

Well they should be MINIATURES.. no life size entries please unless she is very attractive and willing to be judged closely. lol.

If you goto the link I posted ( http://thepryde.com/GH.htm ) It has the catagories there.

The contest is open to all miniature brands.. not just one.

Size and scale are not important.. I would say 54mm and under off the top of my head.

This miniature should be painted by the person entering it.. thats a hard one to prove, so we rely on your personal honor to do the right thing.

One thing to note.. im a stickler for basing.. if you enter a miniature and its base sucks.. I take points off big time. So make sure you finish the miniature off and base it properly to its setting.

REAPER has said it will send me product support... and I am in contact with a sculptor to see about getting a miniature done.. he has already begun on it, and I should have images of it soon. This will be a one of a kind prize for the winners to have and paint... to me a one of a kind miniature to have and paint and show off on my shelf is better than a piece of paper you\'ll end up putting in a desk drawer.

Does this help at all Jim?

I am dumping some money into this to reward the painting and gaming community. I have to come all the way from Texas to do this at DragonFlight. So I hope we get a good turn out.

I just wanted to make it known that I am in no way making money off of this event, and its free to the people who attend the Convention.. by paying to attend that is.

I used to run a Game Con in El Paso TX where I am from and people would make a big stink, that I was doing it for the money.. but thats a whole other story..

Blog Entries

I do believe he meant Reaper and not Ral Partha, seeing as how Ral Partha has been gone for a while. ;)

I think the main reason Jim was asking is because he does some larger (90mm) scale stuff, too. I say bring those along--even if you don\'t enter them, they\'d be a beautiful display thing.

Very cool of you to do this and thanks for the info ... answered all the questions I had.

Oh, and about bases ... I don\'t think you have to worry about me finishing a base ... plenty of times, the base is bigger and more elaborate than the mini itself.

jim

Blog Entries

I do hope you make it up here, Jim. I was thinking of hosting a \"Mini-Painting at Midnight\" session again (did it last year; basically just a bunch of painters hanging out and painting, trading tips, etc.). Even if not, though, it\'d be great to get some tips from ya. (And hopefully Inge (Jenova), too...)

painting at midnight sounds cool and a great way to meet all the CMON personalities in the Seattle area ... I tried that w/ GameStorm and Portland but didn\'t get much CMON turnout.

BTW, has Inge moved or will she just happen to be in the area at the time of the con? It\'d be cool to meet her as well.

jim

Originally posted by sivousplay
    BTW, has Inge moved or will she just happen to be in the area at the time of the con? It\'d be cool to meet her as well.

jim
    Wouldn\'t it be cool just to meet her..............end of story.:]

Blog Entries

Originally posted by sivousplay
    painting at midnight sounds cool and a great way to meet all the CMON personalities in the Seattle area ... I tried that w/ GameStorm and Portland but didn\'t get much CMON turnout.
    Yeah, I didn\'t get much turnout last year, either, but there were a couple of guys that showed up, and it was generally fun.

jim
    Yes, she\'s now living in Seattle. Apparently she moved here last September or so.

I got an e-mail the other day and someone wanted to know why the name GoldenHammer and not GoldenPaintbriush or something along them lines.

Well Back when I started doing The SouthWest Gamers Game Cons, I invited a guy named Will Nesbitt who had a cool game system called BattleStorm, And he was so great I had him back the following year.. Well we did a Hammer Match with GW plastic mini\'s.. ( From the 2nd edition Box Set ) Where if the mini gets killed you smash it with a hammer. So the next game con after that I gave out Golden Hammers to the winners of the paint contest.. that they could use in hammer matches if they so desired too.

Besides the name GoldenHammer is just cool.. to me. I used to give a Sledge Hammer to the best over all painter, and conversion. Kinda like The King of the Paint for that year.. yeah it was a tad gimmicky.

I hope to revive the GoldenHammer Paint contest at DragonFlight every year.. so I hope you all come out and support it.

Hrm...well I\'ll try to make it out to the con, though I don\'t know about entering anything. I seem to be in one of those moods where I\'m disappointed in most of my work. :P

Blog Entries

You should totally try to make it to Dragonflight. It\'s usually a lot of fun.

I\'ve already added an entry in SAP\'s calendar for it, too. ;)

Dude...getting all proactive on us. :wow:

Thanks again, Anthony, for all the work on SAP. Despite my hesitance on the acronym, sounds like things are gearing up.

:flip:

Default What about me?

Hey, I started the damn group.. and D gets all the thanks.. =(

Its cool.. I dont really mind.. I was just messin around.. I started the group because I thought since I am moving there and all these people share a commen hobby it would be cool to have a yahoo group.. but hey D was gonna do it too, I just beat him to it, and he has in fact been working on it pretty hard, not only that he can paint circles around me any day.

Now if you want apply for a tax exempt lic. from the State of Washinton, one of you should become a priest at one of the many on-line churches.. make it a good one though.. Then you say your a church group.. and you can indeed get discounts and no tax on many products used by the church group.. like paints and brushes and miniatures for the group to use.

Oh hey lookie here, I happen to be a Registerd Druid.. :D I guess I can do it.. Its just a thought..

lol Sorry MIC, didn\'t mean to not give you credit. I guess I had assume Anthony put it up. ^_^

Hrmm...ya know, a religious connotation to meeting and talking about miniatures seems a little scary. :P

Blog Entries

Yeah, I sent a link to the Seattle Area Painters thread here, and was about to go to yahoo and make a group, then Jeff IM\'s me and says he just did. Also, he gets props for the group logo.

As for going for a non-profit thing... if the only way to do that is make it a religious organization, I\'d rather piss glass. ;)