Single Favorite piece of art? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Favorite piece of art?

nice one Donga, that is likely one of my top 3 sculptures ever, Boccioni is probably my favorite artist out there, There is something about his work and nearly all of the Futurists that I really connect with. The litterature of the movement is awesome as well.

Here is another of his that comes in a close 2nd to the soccer player for me, Dynamism of a Cyclist

I\'m honestly really loving the artwork that\'s being put up here, and I think it\'s really revealing/reflective of peoples personalities as well :)

I would say that my favorite artist is Luis Royo. Hereis one of my favorite peices by him.

Probably because this was one of the first fantasy series I read back in my youth, and because the character of Raistlin was always a favorite.

Part of the reason this appeals to me so much is the fact that it looks like a romance novel cover...til you look at Raistlin\'s eyes.

In canvas art, I like organic forms and bodies, preferable human.. surrealism. sci-fi or christian theme. I found I site that that depicts it better then I\'d do myself.

One of my favourite angel painters and one classic sci-fi/surrealist painter on the same site :)

WILLIAM ADOLPHE BOURGUEREAU

H.R.GIGER

Monet for \"classic\" art, Royo for Fantasy (Especially \"The announcement\" and \"Liberty III\" - fine stuff!)
    My favorite would be the hellenistic sculpture of the sleeping Satyr, aka the \"Fauno Barberini\", currently in the Glyptothek in Munich (look it up, folks, I\'m no rocket scientist ;) )

I have always been a fan of Chris Achilleos must be an age thing as I remember a lot of his stuff from the covers of the earliest fantasy books and also some of the artwork for Citadel and Fighting Fantasy.

But I like some of the other works by fantasy artists as well, I won\'t name them or I\'ll be up all night.

Hard to decide but I can pick up Brom as my favourite artist.
    Here\'s one of his best works:

Blood Ritual

Anyone else like Brute, the guy who does KMFDM\'s album covers?

He\'s another artist whose style I\'d like to replicate on a mini some time. But it\'d probably just get comments like \"Your shadows should not be just black! And you did not blend at all, and you only used three colors!\" lol

KMFDM titles were always top notch, although I never really thought about them or the artist who did them until now. Although I admit it would be quite a challenge to paint a mini effectively like that

Me and my brother discovered this last night. I dont know the title but the artist is Thomas Hart Benton. Era - 30\'s 40\'s?

Anyone else like Brute, the guy who does KMFDM\'s album covers?
    I\'m not positive but I think the same guy did a Faith No More cover.

@Shawn - that\'s really nice. It sort of reminds me of Canadian landscape artist Lawren Harris, though of course Harris\' work is less detailed and more impressionistic:

Re: Brute, here\'s a link to his web page. And I believe this is the FNM album you were thinking of, \"King For a Day, Fool For a Lifetime\":

I couldn\'t find any reference to it being by Brute though.

Durer\'s four horsemen:flip::bouncy:

Just about anything by Turner and especially from his time in Venice ... I have a very cool reproduction of this one in my living room:

And, from a completely different sort of artist ... and someone who clearly loved to paint : Jackson Pollock ... it\'s been too long since I saw the movie where he was so amazingly portrayed by Ed Harris, but when he was painting (what I believe is below ... or something very similar), I actually was brought to tears because it was SO CLEAR how much he loved paint and what he could do with it.

Well ... enough into my psyche for one day :)

jim

Nice Jim, that Pollock is actually very near the top in my favorite list. The one Polluck I did ever see in person I think I sat and staired at for a good while, can\'t say exactly how long...lost track. :)

@sivousplay - I saw a bunch of Turner\'s work in Toronto recently, it\'s breathtaking. He was truly ahead of his time. Sadly, apparently a bunch of his paintings will probably be lost because he tried out some unusual paint formulations etc, and they are deteriorating.

Let that be a warning to those of you who mix spit, Future floor wax, boogers, coffee and other unorthodox components into your mini paints!

Originally posted by No Such Agency
    Let that be a warning to those of you who mix spit, Future floor wax, boogers, coffee and other unorthodox components into your mini paints!
    *Sets bottle of sulfuric acid down*
    Sigh

I\'d have to say Michael Whelan is my favorite, with Todd Lockwood coming in a close second. Both are excellent artists, but one reason I place Whelan first is that I read a lot of Sci-Fi/Fantast novels and all the book covers Whelan has done are really wonderful because he reads the entire manuscripts and not only makes characters look spot-on but also works a lot of symbology from the book into the painting.

Here\'s my favorite, from the book \"The Summer Queen\" by Joan Vinge. The Mask the woman is wearing is described as elaborate, but Whelan worked a lot of elements from the book into it. I love it!

And one of Lockwood\'s interesting pieces. This \"Cerberus\" started out as a \"practice\" piece. Reminds me of EricJ- everythings an \"experiment\" but turns out looking freakin\' fantastic!

(Maybe it should really be called \"Soylent Dog\"! :D

Originally posted by Duende
    Here\'s my favorite, from the book \"The Summer Queen by Joan Vinge.
    I guess I really couldn\'t post \"The Summer Queen\" without it\'s sister pic, \"The Snow Queen\". Her mask also contains many novel-inspired references.

@ Duende Whelan is also one of my favorite artists. I grew up looking at his Pern covers, as my mom loved those books. I had the fortune of being able to meet Mr. Whelan a feew years ago at a local con. He was one of the guests of honor, he was so super nice. He personalized a print for me. I wish I could buy an original of his, but the cost is way out of my ballpark.

I also am a Todd Lookwood fan I have a signed and numbered print of his as well. His Dragonlance picture. His dragons are incredible.

On of my other Favorite artists is J.R.R. Tolkien. I am sure that most people do not realize that he did some art work. I have 4 posters of his art which I adore.

Would I be right in suggesting that a lot of the pieces shown are just fantasy illustrations rather than artworks? Just a thought...subjectivity springs to mind, but I\'m sure artistry in its truest sense tends to challenge things like our perception or socio-political issues, etc.

Nice images though lol