Single Favorite piece of art? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Single Favorite piece of art?

This guy was big in the hippie times. Rick Griffin.

Ghey Boy

Wow. Also, how long is a piece of string?

Anyway, I like the emperor busts and statues. There are too many to name, though I\'ve always had a soft spot for the later \"anime\" style (Constantine had a lot).

Most of them can\'t be seperated from a technical standpoint, so purely for reasons of symbolism, I\'d say the tetrarchy. Not \"technically\" good by any means, but a leap forward on the part of the Emperor Diocletian (until Constantine\'s showdown with Maxentius).

Other than that, why no try a googe image search for
    hieronymous bosch?

Ghey Boy

@Sivousplay-no offense, your first choice is outstanding, but this, my friend, is an abbhoration imho.

Originally posted by Ghey Boy
    @Sivousplay-no offense, your first choice is outstanding, but this, my friend, is an abbhoration imho.
    Oh, you love it. Otherwise why would you have posted it again? :D

Nahh, just take yourself down to any \"artsy\" gallery. You\'ll see that it\'s not even an abberation, much less an \"abbhoration.\" :D :P

My \"no-art degree\" opinion about Jackson Pollock\'s work ... it\'s not the \"what\", but the \"how.\" Seeing his work is like seeing into his heart and soul and the ectasy (for lack of a better word) that he reached when he applied paint to canvas. It wasn\'t just some gimmick about \"what is art?\", it was pure joy captured.

And, for me that\'s actually what I like about painting minis the way I do. I\'m a little sloppy here and there using lots of really thin washes to mess w/ colors here and there ... it\'s not always clean and pretty like so many of the great pieces you\'ll see on CMON, but there\'s something really exhilerating about applying the paint to the mini and seeing what happens with a dab here and dab there.

jim

Blog Entries

Default Favorite artwork.

I\'m with Vincegamer. My wife and I love Klimt, It\'s one of the first things we had in common. Hi work is sensuous but restrained. Gaudy but exciting, Polite eroticism.

I think I connect with Pollock in a very similar way as Jim, and is definately among my favorites.

Here is another favorite a just came across as well, Goya - Saturn eating his son.

(okok, I know I just said 1 favorite, but I\'m really enjoying thread so to keep it going I\'m posting more :])

I\'m more fond of Goya\'s portrait work.
    The pic above is from his end-of-life gone completely mad stage.
    I holed up in a house and wouldn\'t let anyone in to see him. When he died people went in and he\'d painted the whole inside walls with stuff like that.

praetorian0_1

so wild its my wallpaper- my duaghter just said- trees daddy?;)

Originally posted by vincegamer
    I\'m more fond of Goya\'s portrait work.
    The pic above is from his end-of-life gone completely mad stage.
    I holed up in a house and wouldn\'t let anyone in to see him. When he died people went in and he\'d painted the whole inside walls with stuff like that.
    lol, that\'s funny, I\'ve always liked the stuff from the \"end of life completely mad\" stage more...just never really thought of it that way...

Originally posted by darthfoley
    Originally posted by reverend
    Would I be right in suggesting that a lot of the pieces shown are just fantasy illustrations rather than artworks? Just a thought...subjectivity springs to mind, but I\'m sure artistry in its truest sense tends to challenge things like our perception or socio-political issues, etc
    That\'s funny, I was just thinking there was an awful lot of great fantasy artwork and several unintelligible blobs of color and/or scribbles.

:D
    <shrug> That\'s why art is entirely subjective. I can admire the technical brilliance of faithfully reproducing a scene from reality or imagination, but I am seldom inspired by it. It\'s the artists who try to capture that \"special something\" *without* capturing the context that inspire me. Everybody makes a big deal about the Mona Lisa\'s smile. But what about the artist who tries to captures just the essence of the Mona Lisa\'s smile without painting the lady?

I am also a sucker for a great idea, like Cornelia Parker\'s exploded garden shed.

Sean

for the sci-fi fantasy genre, i love the work of adrian smith and brom. adrian is so detailed and brom is so clean.

as for \'real\' painting, i am a big admirer of john hamilton. an oil painter who lived in the isles of scilly and painted the local area. he also did loads of stuff about the antarctic and the falklands

more can be found at:
    http://www.bronzesculpture.net/johnH/bio.htm

Nothing wrong with a good old bit of Jackson P......

It\'s all about expressing oneself through nothing more than applying paint to a canvas. There\'s a damn sight more feeling and soul in the painting Sivousplay/Jim posted than in some of the tosh that has been posted to this thread! Pollock\'s stuff is great up close - wonderful surface textures and patterns.

A bit of a revolutionary really....

Ghey Boy

Originally posted by Nelson
    Nahh, just take yourself down to any \"artsy\" gallery. You\'ll see that it\'s not even an abberation, much less an \"abbhoration.\" :D :P
    Bastard. Must you mock my speling in such a crule fashion? :~(

Let alone your opinions on \'art\'!

Here\'s another of my fave artists.
    Henry Moore - awesome sculpter from around my neck-of-the-woods. His sculptures are stunningly beautiful, but I find his sketchbook drawings even more interesting.

Another of my heroes:

And another...

donga666

Default How big is my ego???

Spot the influence (look above)

The Artists name is Andrew Vallance (me), went to Art College with Scott (Spacemunkie). It seemed like yesterday that I did that, it was 8 years ago ???

How time passes......

@Donga - Do you still draw? I finished my art degree 14 years ago (my specialization was photography) and now all I do is take photos of minis occasionally, along with snapshots of my friends.

I\'m pleased to see how many people are familiar with so many different artists and styles of art. It revives my faith in humankind. :D

Default Rev! I expected better from you....

Originally posted by reverend
    Would I be right in suggesting that a lot of the pieces shown are just fantasy illustrations rather than artworks?
    When did you join the \'other side\'???

You know..the sniffy, snobby lot? I\'d like to know because I try to keep an accurate diary:bouncy:

My favourite artist at the moment is Robert Bateman. People criticise him for his \"souless\" work, and for the fact that he makes prints, but I guess being a mini painter, I\'m just inspired by the level of detail that goes into some of his stuff. I also worked as a construction lackey on his house over the summer, and got to meet him, so I\'m a bit biased. :)