Good Paints? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Paints?

I have many old GW colors (flip top hex bottles) and some new too, about 50 Vallejo Model color bottles and since December also the entire Andrea Colors range (60 bottles).

I can add my personal experience with this brand to the thread.. ;)
    They have the same bottle, thinkness and coverage than VMC but they are also more opaque (if you like a very flat finish try them).
    On the other side the color range is developed for historical miniatures so you dont have some ultra bright colors that you may need.

Here\'s the range:
    http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/ANDREAPAINTS.htm

Paolo

Default Well, from reading these and many other forums....

There seems to be one thing that everybody recommends to improve painting technique....thin your paints...

If this is true, then it seems like you are making extra work for yourself to buy paint in anything other than a dropper bottle???

@Paolo
    How are the Andrea paints compared to Vallejo? They have Andrea in my LGS, but I\'ve never tried them out.

Default true but...

Originally posted by finn17
    There seems to be one thing that everybody recommends to improve painting technique....thin your paints...

If this is true, then it seems like you are making extra work for yourself to buy paint in anything other than a dropper bottle???
    The \'extra\' work a lot of times just consists of dipping a toothpick into the paint bottle, and letting a drop hit your pallette. Its not like it adds hours of bonecrunching labor. But, extra work is extra work, and we should all try to avoid it...lol

It was a bit of extra labor to put all my non-VA paints into dropper bottles, but just time, not really effort.
    Well worth it too.
    As to thinning, my process is usually this:
    *drop color into tiny bowl of plastic pallett.
    *drop water into tiny bowl with paint.
    *drop flow enhancer (FFF) in.
    *take plastic bristled kid\'s brush and swirl the hell out of it - mixes completely in one or two seconds.

I don\'t pre-thin the paints much because for each application I may want different consistencies.

what do you use for your flow enhancer, Vince?

Originally posted by Ritual
    @Paolo
    How are the Andrea paints compared to Vallejo? They have Andrea in my LGS, but I\'ve never tried them out.
    Very similar to the VMC, probably they are made from the same manifacturer but with more flattener in them. (acrylic paints are composed by acrylic clear medium, pigments and a dulling agent)

You can mix them without problems with GW, Vallejo game colors, Vallejo Model Colors, Future Floor Wash and Reaper colors.

The pigments are really thin and I cannot see differences between Andrea and Vallejo if you use them on a black primer.

Paolo

Default I use lager...

Originally posted by supervike
    Sure enhances my \'flow\':bouncy:

Warworks

Default You guys are awesome!

A local retailer hooked me up with some samples of the vallejo and reaper stuff. I\'ll post my impressions and some pics when I get them.

Originally posted by Warworks
    A local retailer hooked me up with some samples of the vallejo and reaper stuff. I\'ll post my impressions and some pics when I get them.
    Good luck! Let us know how it turns out for you! And glad we could be helpful and not go spinning off on a wild tangent. How\'s that for unusual? :P Just kidding.

Originally posted by supervike
    Now that\'s a rather personal question, don\'t ya\' think?

:flip:

Warworks

Default Yay!

Okay, got the samples in, tried them out, this is what I found (pics will be added when I can get them).

Adikolor: Thick paint with good rich color. Dries VERY quickly, even with same-brand thinner. Emulsifies easily, leaving chunks on your palette mini; the color separates very easily as well. If you use this stuff, make sure you get a FRESH bottle, and toss it when it starts to act funny. Also, make sure you shake it well. Often times the medium will separate to the top, and you\'ll end up with only that clear stuff coming out the top, which aids in the \"chunky\" process later on. It has a good price though, and if you find some fresh bottles, you should be good and happy for a while.

Vallejo Game color: Amazing stuff. Covers very well over black primer, like a thick paint, but it has a liquid flow like a thin paint. It also doesn\'t become \"tacky\" (sticky, whatever) as it dries, so you can put a second coat over it quickly without running the risk of taking off the first coat. The liquid consistency of the paint also keeps air bubbles from getting trapped under the paint in the tip, which can force it out and cause the lids to get clogged. This paint also separates very easily, but seems to mix rather easily as well. I was told that there is a special resin polymer added to the paint that resists dings and chips, but I have yet to see this in action (and I hope I never do...)

Reapr Master Series: A thinner paint than Adikolor (or even GW), but still has a lot of color to it. Doesn\'t cover so well over black primer, but does pretty good over white - I think this is the color they intended when they designed the stuff. If you use black rimer, multiple coats are necessary. If you use white, I would thin down the paint about 50/50 or so. Not a bad paint, with my only complaint being that the skull agitator leaves a lot of air bubbles in the paint bottle after shaking. These then make their way to the palette and the mini, if you\'re not careful. If you thin it, this should not be a problem, but even then micro bubbles can be a bit of a hassle. Reaper also offers a huge line, broken down into that triad system, which is quite nice.

What I chose: Vallejo game color. I just like the way it reacts on the palette - it\'s very easy to use out of the bottle for black primer cultists like myself, and thins very nicely over white as well. While the Reaper line has more color ranger with a similar paint, I don\'t really need that variation. It has some nice qualities (and is cheaper to boot), but in my opinion, the Game Color does it better.