Games Day Russia painting competition - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Games Day Russia painting competition

Originally posted by DragonPaint
    You can add to your calendar the Italian GD, 10/11 December 2005 ;)
    Hum ... must convince my GF to plan a trip to Italy ;).

Originally posted by Spacemunkie
    A right load of pish. It\'s a bugger that there aren\'t bigger and better independent comps... with cold hard cash prizes....:D
    There is..a little thing called gen con USA.. in 3 weeks I beleave. Were growing bigger and better every year and drawing more talent. First place is $100.00 cash

Originally posted by green stuff
    Then you\'ll have to convince her to go to a mini painting convention :P

And for those people who say that you don\'t understand the way the judges judge, well I had a really interesting discussion with jeremy bonamant and apparently they judge more on the way the highlight/shadings are placed and how well the whole color theory is applied ( light acceleration, surface angle, ect..) then on pure technical factors. So if you\'re not a huge theory fan best bet is you don\'t have the knowldge to know how the minis are judged, sounds a bit elitist but seems normal to me.

Originally posted by frenchkid

...And for those people who say that you don\'t understand the way the judges judge, well I had a really interesting discussion with jeremy bonamant and apparently they judge more on the way the highlight/shadings are placed and how well the whole color theory is applied ( light acceleration, surface angle, ect..) then on pure technical factors. So if you\'re not a huge theory fan best bet is you don\'t have the knowldge to know how the minis are judged, sounds a bit elitist but seems normal to me.
    It depends on the judges, doesn\'t it. If they are into art they can judge such factors. If they are random GW staff, maybe they can\'t. Take a quick peak at the LA 04 they attended to and criticised. Some goodies but some really mediocre works as well. I suspect that several gamers from my local gaming store could have had a shot at some of the demons if that was the best work present.

Originally posted by green stuff
    You\'re welcome :)
    Last year I have been around for almost all day with a couple of guys from the France Waagh and hope to meet some more people from abroad this year.

Oh.. the GD Italy is in Milan, probably you have a direct line with the train from Lyon to Milan.
    I\'m ready to pay some beer or wathever you drink ;)

Message original : DragonPaint
    I\'m ready to pay some beer or wathever you drink ;)
    A fruit juice will be fine :P. The next round will be on me ;). Oh, and Ghorghor Bey is coming along quite well :).

Back on subject (kind of) : when is the spanish GD?

could anyone answear me on this? is there a youngbloods comp in the german one? is the standar high? where is it and can i still get tickets? maybe you have a link to the winners?

thanks! :-)

Originally posted by BanJo
    could anyone answear me on this? is there a youngbloods comp in the german one? is the standar high? where is it and can i still get tickets? maybe you have a link to the winners?

thanks! :-)
    yes. link to the 2004 winners

Originally posted by leopardpixie
    Originally posted by pitynoman
    Originally posted by supervike
    I thought the entries were anonymous until after they were judged...

Or am I being too niave?
    You are being naive.
    The judges are a bunch of random plonks who just happen to work for GW,some in retail,phone sales,whatever. Some of the judges have NO painting talent whatsoever. The ones in LA heavily favored the locals that hang at their store.
    I\'ve even heard the following.:\"Dude, you are going to get second,don\'t worry about it\"
    This was BEFORE any judging took place,I mean BEFORE THE FIRST CUT.
    I am not saying they are all like that,but I\'ve seen alot of abuse,I\'ve been to two and won a bronze. The one before last, (LA) the Warhammer single silver went to a MEDIOCRE fig that had NO business even being there. I thought it was a joke.
    Its all fixed! went to LA\'s gamesday 2 years ago, ..... I think that the judging is fixed! some of the models that had gotten first place, were very undeserving, and others who only made first cut should have won. But thats only my opinion. (not going to say any more!)
    I was there,did we meet?

Originally posted by Avelorn

...And for those people who say that you don\'t understand the way the judges judge, well I had a really interesting discussion with jeremy bonamant and apparently they judge more on the way the highlight/shadings are placed and how well the whole color theory is applied ( light acceleration, surface angle, ect..) then on pure technical factors. So if you\'re not a huge theory fan best bet is you don\'t have the knowldge to know how the minis are judged, sounds a bit elitist but seems normal to me.
    It depends on the judges, doesn\'t it. If they are into art they can judge such factors. If they are random GW staff, maybe they can\'t. Take a quick peak at the LA 04 they attended to and criticised. Some goodies but some really mediocre works as well. I suspect that several gamers from my local gaming store could have had a shot at some of the demons if that was the best work present.
    I have to agree that the standard at the US games day are somtimes questionable. Chicago is pretty good though.As for the europe one I think most of them have known \'artists\' who judge. The french GD this year had one, the UK GD will have at least one amongst the 7 judges ( how they are going to agree on anything is a mysterie to me :P), and I seem to remeber the german GD also had a \'painting god\' judging

How and I might show up at that italian GD looks like it\'s right around vacation time :P

I was there,did we meet?
    I dont think so. I was the bored readhead (@ the time). I spent the day wondering around, while the fiance and friends played.

Originally posted by DragonPaintYou can add to your calendar the Italian GD, 10/11 December 2005 ;)
    Any info on that one? Categories, guidelines etc....

Thanks up front!:)

How and I might show up at that italian GD looks like it\'s right around vacation time :P
    Just mail me if you decide to show up, I\'ll arrange a sort of meeting with the Italian painters ;)

@Skirt: the categories are prettu the same as the UK one, last year the only difference was in the LOTR category that in UK was \"MINIATURES from LOTR\" and in Italy was \"SCENES from the LOTR movie\".
    I\'m waiting for the official rules (usually they upload a PDF file with the rules on the Italian GW site at the beginning of August)
    I will compare it with the UK rules as soon as I can download it and give you all more info.
    In the meantime you can check the previous winners HERE, just click on the Italian flag.

Default Riiiiiigghhhht...

Originally posted by leopardpixie
    I was there,did we meet?
    I dont think so. I was the bored readhead (@ the time). I spent the day wondering around, while the fiance and friends played.
    You were probably loving the attention. You were probably being ogled by all the pathetic gamer-guys there...lol

I don\'t think anyone needs THAT kind of attention.

I don\'t think anyone needs THAT kind of attention.
    How True that Is!