Painting Bone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting Bone

daryl_ks

Default Painting Bone

I have painted bone a few different ways in the past... dry-brushing, working from a grey basecoat, also working from a brown basecoat.... but I have never really been that happy with it....

If you have ever seen an old sheep\'s skull or something to that effect, then it gets a sort of yellowish tinge to the bone...

I was painting the sheep\'s skul at the top of the GW tuskgor chariot and trying to get that old bone yellowy feel..... but not really succeeding...

Anyone have any ideas for painting authentic old bone?

Cheers!

Daryl

Wolf_Fang

using a tyranid bone method should work..... for a skelletal (not so dried) use brown- bleached bone only instead of drybrushing blending or what not on it... when applying highlights jagged it like you would tyranid armour and work your way up for highlights... for a really dried out bone do the same only bring it up to skull white and leave less brown

Painting Bone, there are many ways depending on what particular look you want to achieve and what paints you are using.
    Don\'t forget that the scale we are used to painting in is 1/65th of life size so what seems excessive contrast to us will work on a miniature.

You could try one of the folowing ideas:

GW\'s Bleached Bone as the base coat, extremely thin wash of Snakebite leather, re-highlight with Bleached Bone and Final Highlight with Skull White.

Basecoat with Vallejo Model colour Dark Sand, Wash over with VMC Tan Yellow, Re-highlight with Dark Sand, Highlight with VMC Pale Sand and final highlights with VMC Ivory.

Basecoat with VMC Off White, Primary wash with Dark Sand allowing the depth of colour to build up in the recesses. Add toning washes of VMC Tan Yellow to the deepest recesses to darken them. Re-highlight with VMC Off White and then Finally lighten the edges with White.

Hope that these ideas help.

i think the trick to old bone is to not higlight all the way to white. if you want a more yellowy tinge, rather than using bestial brown as a basecoat use snakebite leather (ie dragonsreach\'s first suggestion). or add a teeny tiny bit of yellow to you paints

It may be of no use but here is my bone method.

Basecoat Scorched Brown,

Highlight using mixes of Scorched Brown up to pure Snakebite Leather,

Highlight again using mixes of Snakebite Leather up to pure Bleached Bone and then a final highlight stage of Bleached Bone with a little Skull white,

Finally pure Skull White on one or two of the highest points.

You get that just out of the ground look with this method, I also do not drybrush as this gives a very grainy and sometimes messy effect IMO.

The pic below was done using the method I described,

Hope this helps.

try also GW Bubonic Brown or Vallejo Japanese Uniform WWII 923 as basecoat, they are a sorto of green/yellow browns that works very well for the bones.
    Usually I mix them with bleached bone or Vallejo Buff 976 for the bones and then add a bit of white for the final highlight.

Here\'s an example:

Really cool skeleton, Tim. I love the bone and the black armour.

Glad this question came up, it got me thinking of a site I\'d not been to in quite some time. Jason Richards wrote a few words about how he did the skulls for one of his pieces on his site here:

http://www.miniaturespace.net/Abaddon%20Column%20Part%20I%20&%20II.htm

Worth a read even though there\'s been plenty of answers given already.

daryl_ks

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys... it should give me more than enough in ideas to work on...

Cheers!

Daryl

I\'m late into this.
    On the Grave Guardian in my gallery...
    Dirty bone on the mask was a basecoat of GW bleached bone, washed with a GW scorched brown and black mix. Re-highlighted with bleached bone layers with more and more white added.

The bone scythe was basecoated with bleached bone, shaded with thin layers of VMC flat earth. Glazed with VERY thin GW snakebite leather, then highlighted with bleached bone with added white.

Blog Entries

The skull on my avatar was done as follows:
    Bestial Brown
    Bestial Brown/snakebite leather
    snakebite leather
    snakebite leather/bubonic brown
    bubonic brown/bleached bone
    bleached bone
    skull white on the brow ridges and cheek bones.

What Philo said. :D That\'s the way I usually do my skeleton commissions, too. (look at the Bone Giant or Tomb scorpion in my gallery for reference). Depending on how much of the low, mid- or high tones you leave, you can get pretty much anything from \"fresh from the ground\" to \"too much time in the sun\". And if you want, you can add some brown and/or greenish washes in places to spice it up a bit.
    Hope that helps.

if you want a guide to a quick skeleton paintjon that looks suprisingly good.

Check out my tutorial

http://www.visionpainters.mirageimagery.co.uk/Skeletons.HTML

Thought I would plug my site :D

Hey there,

I just wanted to jump in here and resurrect and old thread on painting bone to see if I am on the right track. The photos below show the process I am experimenting with.

After a white undercoat, both of these minis were given a liberal brown ink wash. The character on the right demonstrates the next step. He was given a Bleached Bone drybrush followed by a very light brown ink wash to bring out some of the details that were obscured by the previous step.

The next step in the process I am experimenting with. Both of these characters have been given a light drybrush of 1:1 Bleached Bone and Skull White. The effect I am eventually trying to achieve is that of bone that has been left in the sun for a very long time; almost to the point of being bleached white.

I plan on adding some further highlights of Skull White. This is basically a slight modification to the GW studio process.

Comments are welcome.

Thanks,
    Mark

I found an awsome way to paint bone recently. Its rather simple and gets that semi-yellow tinge.

Basecoat of Graveyard Earth. Keep adding bits of Bronzed Flesh progressively getting lighter. Its pretty nice. I could get some pics.

Exotic/Old Bone:
    Base coat with K. Khaki
    Shade with K. Khaki, codex gray and scorched brown
    HighLight with K. Khaki and a tad of white.

This would be a good subject for an article if it isn\'t one already. Anyone up for it?

A good way of getting old bone effect is to use a green/yellow/brown ink wash or glaze. Green should be the smallest so say 1/3/3 ratio. Varying the ratios of the 3 colours obviously changes the effect.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by fat zombie
    This would be a good subject for an article if it isn\'t one already. Anyone up for it?
    Umm, check the article index for the way I do it.

L

Blog Entries

Aaah, the dead ones. One of my favorite subjects to paint. ;)

(There are two ways to get me out of lurking mode lately on the forums--just mention tweening or painting dead things lol).

Anyway, one mix I\'ve been fairly happy with lately for a \"dirty\" bone is Vallejo Model Color: English Uniform, VMC Ivory and a little white. Depending on whether you prefer to work from darkest up, or middle-wash-highlight, or whatever will dictate the exact method, but generally for layering here goes:

1. Prime white. (Though I\'ve been playing with black primer again recently, just haven\'t gotten to bone yet).
    2. Get a good, smooth coat of VMC English Uniform on there.
    3. Maybe add a little brown or black to that and thin the crap out of it and give your deadite a nice washing. ;)
    4. Start adding Ivory a bit at a time to English Uniform and layer your way up, until you wind up with straight Ivory for the highest points.
    5. You might want to hit some of the higher points with white/ivory or plain white. This works particularly well for teeth.

This dude was a test subject for this color mix, and I think he came out pretty decently.