Buying a campaign?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a campaign?

Default Buying a campaign?

The Wizards of the Coast make preconcieved D&D campaigns, but are they really any good? i\'ve never bought or used one, but wonder if they\'d help me make my own campaigns (and lighten the load a little with gaming session planing). Dragon magazine helps A LOT, just wondering if the books have more than a set story plot or if it gives ideas and hints for added game play.

Any imput positive or negative would be great.

I have been playing in the Forgotten Realms since 1st edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. I\'ve also played in thier Dark Sun campaign.

Campaign settings can be a blessing for the time-crunched DM, and can serve to set your imagination off. That said, they can be a curse if your players try to abuse them.

Campaign settings give you a wealth of maps, place names, societies, NPCs, and often new magic items, spells, classes, etc. This can save you a lot of time by making it so you don\'t have to invent every wheel, but allows you to focus on your player\'s characters and the adventures you place them in.

Trouble is, sometimes the players can read up on the setting more than you because you\'re busy writing adventures and they are waiting...
    Just remember, even though it is a published setting doesn\'t make it any less your world. If the book says that the city of Hillsfar only allows Humans in the front gate, and you want a Gnomish wizard to have a shop there, expect the more perceptive players to question it, but have a reasonable answer ready.
    No one like to hear at the last moment that \"it\'s not like it says in the book here, I forgot to tell you\". Remember that their characters live there and would already know. If you deviate heavily, be sure to summarize your changes so the PCs know how to act.

And all the pre-generated settings have plenty of \"open space\" on the maps for you to add in your own scratch-built areas, from villages to cities, ruins and dungeons.

I highly reccomend the Forgotten Realms. It gives you a world to play with, but doesn\'t really cramp your style. And though I\'ve never played it, I hear that Privateer Press\' Iron Kingdoms setting is really good....

Default Forgotten Realms

I love the Realms.....

hey, why aren\'t we playing in the Realms, DM?

oh, and I\'m going to run an IK campaign soon, I got so into Warmachine and the fluff that I had to play the D20 version, and from what I\'ve read so far, I love it....the setting is great

Well, because I thought it best to keep the setting non-campaign specific, as I expected it to be a one-shot Con adventure. I had no idea you guys would want more. Besides, I could always place Valgard\'s Ferry along the Sword Coast....

Eberron is interesting, as was the old Ravenloft campaign. In fact, I started DMing Greyhawk years ago and have enjoyed just about every campaign world produced by TSR/WotC (except Birthright). Some of the worlds offered by other companies are also excellent. I have the Iron Kingdoms book, and I know someone who is running a Midnight campaign. And if your into pirate try the Swashbuckling Adventures setting. It\'s set in a fantasy version of Europe during the victorian period. I borrow pieces from all of them, and run them through the meat-grinder that passes for my imagination. :D

I will say they help in a big way, because it leaves you free to do the DM thing, planning adventures, without having to do a lot of background material; and as an added bonus you usually get a bunch of adventure hooks from them.

Edit:The Sword Coast? I find the sea of Falling Stars so much more interesting! You can adventure in Cormyr, hire onto caravans in Sembia, have a run-in with Thay, or maybe have an old-fashioned Egyptian-style dungeon crawl in Mulhorand (Abbot and Costello style, of course). And lets not forget all those wonderful pirates and freebooters the area is famous for... :D

DO IT!!!!! DO IT!!!!!

my patron will be Solonor Thelandira ;)lol

I also use the Realms. So full of history and info. Plus it leaves plenty of room for growth.

Monte Cook\'s Arcana Uneathed!!
    The variant of ordinary D&D is great, and the world of The Diamond Throne is cool :)

Also looking forward to trying Iron Heroes, from Malhavoc Press.

And for one campaing setting that\'ll always keep a special place in my heart(that little black thing in there... :P) is MERP from ICE...
    Way old, way hard to get the books for, but it\'s in Tolkien\'s Middle Earth, they had access to his notes and used all of the info from the books(all the books). It\'s a blast :)

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Another great resourse is Dungeon magazine. Lots of one-shots that you can either link together with a little mod or just use as a sidebar type when you need a filler.

The magazine also has a few linked adventures. Two months ago, a new series started - \"The Age of Worms\" - that I found so well written that I asked my players if they were interested. So we all started over and are now on a new adventure path. We all know it is a linear path, but I feel that I am good enough to keep them from feeling railroaded along.

Ah yes \"The age of Worms\". I saw that too I will most likely use that adventure path at some point.

I think I will wait to run that untill after the party makes it way to Waterdeep and plays around in the Undermountain. I scored both box sets on ebay a while ago and have been itching to run it. :D

If you want a ready made campaign that will take characters on a series of adventures that will take them from lvl 1 through lvl 20 look no further then The Shackled City adventure path, by Paizo Publishing (the Dragon magazine people). It just came out, and it\'s excellent! Originally published as 11 linked adventures in the award-winning Dungeon magazine; Now, everything you need to play the campaign has been compiled into a deluxe 416-page full-color hardcover that also includes an 8-panel fully detailed map of the City of Cauldron, a 16-page full-color map and illustration booklet, and a brand new Shackled City adventure written by fan favorite author Christopher Perkins.

has anyone else the the World\'s Biggest Dugneon? it\'s like a 400 page hardbound book with a gigantic map pack rubberbanded to the book, it\'s $100, but if you\'re looking for an old school dungeon campaign, it looks pretty good

Originally posted by Sithtainius
    has anyone else the the World\'s Biggest Dugneon? it\'s like a 400 page hardbound book with a gigantic map pack rubberbanded to the book, it\'s $100, but if you\'re looking for an old school dungeon campaign, it looks pretty good
    But you failed to mention is that is takes you from lvl 1 to lvl 20 :D

I would love to get my hands on that damn dungeon, but I can\'t justify spending $100 on it.

LP: i didn\'t know you were a firefighter (with reference to your sloganizer)

Well, i went out and bought Forgotten Realms yesterday... so when you guys don\'t hear from me for the next 6 months... it\'s because i\'m reading this ENORMOUS booklol. It\'s super cool and the map is HUGE. Anywho, thanks for the advise, it was worth it.:D

Originally posted by MarkusTay
    The Sword Coast? I find the sea of Falling Stars so much more interesting! You can adventure in Cormyr, hire onto caravans in Sembia, have a run-in with Thay, or maybe have an old-fashioned Egyptian-style dungeon crawl in Mulhorand (Abbot and Costello style, of course). And lets not forget all those wonderful pirates and freebooters the area is famous for... :D
    Me, too, that\'s where my family plays in our campaign. TAB\'s paladin is now the Baroness of the Stonelands, protecting the realm of Cormyr from the evils of the Zhents! But variety is the spice of life, and I\'d want to game in a different region this go around.

Hey, the whole dang continent looks cool to me! I\'ll be happy anywhere you stick me Mister Todd:D Even if it\'s banishment to the Pointless Forest.

Evereska Forever!!lol:cool:

sorry, I\'m just an Elf at heart....