Buying a campaign? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a campaign?

We played Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil for like two years. Great Adventure/ Campaign.

The Dungeon Crawl Classics are great to play too.:)

I played in a group that started that campaign. But for some reason we never finished it. :(

Originally posted by SaxonAngel
    We played Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil for like two years. Great Adventure/ Campaign.

The Dungeon Crawl Classics are great to play too.:)
    Hey. I vaguely remember playing that also. Don’t think we finished it too.

We finished it right before 3.5 came out. We used the old 3.0 version of the \"Harm\" spell on the bad dude (Imex?) at the end and killed him with a couple of cheap shots.

Boy was the DM mad about that. He was sure happy they toned down the Harm spell in 3.5.:P

Lost alot of characters on that one and everyone got resurrected a few times.lol

Only one that made it through start to finish (with a few ressurects) was my Dwarven Monk Drunken Master.:]

Our group refers to it as the \"Temple\" campaign. Good stuff.:]

NecroN

Default Catching up on old posts

Apologize to anyone sick of hearing from me. Finally got enough free time to go through this section of the forum instead of clicking on the lattest posts things on the rating page. Some great stuff in here and I will probably be responding alot.

Okay campaign worlds:
    I love them. I am a time strapped DM so campaign sourcebooks are a near must for me. Often they are worth it just for the set pieices. Even if you don\'t like the world or the specific setting you can get a ton out of one of these. Including but not limited to, NPCs, unique items/magic/skills/equipment, racial and societal flavors, political systems, rivalries. I often ran my old campaign world but would \'steal\' tons of stuff from existing campaign worlds (mainly Dragonlance myself) in order to populate and better represent my own. I was/am not going to spend the time to come up with a whole new equipment list for clothing items (one of the best lists is in Dragonlance) nor do I want to roll up or assign stats for generic characters like Innkeepers and town guard.

My personal favourite of the TSR settings is to this day DarkSun. I love Darksun, my players loved DarkSun. I loved the near hoplessness of it and the fact that even the grass could kill you. It was a great change from the usual rush in swords swinging and spells flying D&D game.

The one problem as DM \'o Doom mentioned though is beware a player knowing too much about the world you use. Always explain that this is your version of the world. If you really have a stuborn player you can use this one:

\"The history of this world as you know it was written by the winners, this is my tale. A tale that will tell the actual events that occured.\"

Originally posted by NecroN

\"The history of this world as you know it was written by the winners, this is my tale. A tale that will tell the actual events that occured.\"
    Great Line. :D

@Necron - thanks for resurrecting this thread. I didn\'t see it because I was busy traveling with the family and getting the kids ready for school in August.

@MarkusTay - !!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the link. We (Grumb & I) want to start a campaign for our kids and some of the their friends. We\'ve been talking about it forever, but weren\'t sure where to start. The book you mentioned sounds like just the ticket. I\'m going to send the link to Scott and have him take a look at it.

NecroN

Default No problem

Though I can\'t really call 2 posts a complete recovery, more like a cure light wounds.

Another good tactic for set game worlds that your players know too much about it to set it in a timeframe before or after the existing histories.

After works great. I did this in Dragonlance years ago, set it a good 50 years in the future (before they published books that took magic out of the system and returned the gods). This worked great because all of the player info on the world was what their characters knew of history. For my Dragonlance game, the War of the Lance was almost like the Clone Wars - you would meet ancient battlescarred vetrens who would say things like \"I was a soldier in the War of the Lance, lost my arm to a Draconian I did, want to see the scar?\"