Harder than green stuff?

Thread: Harder than green stuff?

Default Harder than green stuff?

I have just started using green stuff and I find that it is to rubbery for my needs as a modeler.
    I was wondering if there was something that I could mix it with that would make it harder so it can be easily filed.
    I tried MuliPut, but that is just rather chaky and somewhat brittle [Doesn\'t seem to do much but make the green stuff slightly stiffer, not really filable,Maybe it was my ratio?]
    I would appreciate any old school converters here letting me in on what would work best to achieve a super hard finish that I could add green stuff to at whatever ratio to make the superhard filable substance more rubbery.
    Thank you.

Oke not an old school convertor here but I am a sculptor so i guess I cn answer too ;) Have you tried brownstuff already? Same makers as greenstuff. It\'s harder, a tad more brittle too though, less rubbery and it can be filed and cut. It\'s a bit dark though so harder to photograph and see as well as with greenstuff what you are doing. Also it\'s quite a bit more costly. I use it for weapons and hard edges mostly.

Ok then, noted...
    But is it harder/more brittle than Multi-Putt?
    Because I was looking for something that dried like two part epoxy resin, but that you could sculpt.
    Thanks for your help.

MalleusMiniArt

the brownstuff may be something for you.
    you could also try to file it using simple tip - after gs had cured, freeze it. becomes very hard and easy to file :).

What type of Miliput are you using? Sounds like superfine white from your chalky description. Try standard miliput

While waiting for brownstuff, try mixing fully some GS and MP, then mix these two together in approximately equal amounts - you should get a harder sandable result but still with some of the qualities of GS

Thank you for the suggestions.
    I have Regular yellow grey Miliput and I tried that as a 50/50 mix and it still wasn\'t as hard as I would like.
    I was really hoping to find something that would make GS as hard as a rock if needed.
    Thnkas again.

Default heh

apoxysculpt!!!

www.avesstudio.com

good for larger projects

Originally posted by Jigger
    I would appreciate any old school converters here letting me in on what would work best to achieve a super hard finish that I could add green stuff to at whatever ratio to make the superhard filable substance more rubbery.
    This may be a blend of properties that\'s just not feasible - like \"I want a steel to make a sword that\'s very hard so it holds an edge but still flexible\".

Originally posted by Jigger
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    I have Regular yellow grey Miliput and I tried that as a 50/50 mix and it still wasn\'t as hard as I would like.
    I was really hoping to find something that would make GS as hard as a rock if needed.
    If you want \'hard as a rock\' then I\'d suggest you just use a different sculpting material. But if you want to try a blend just favour the Milliput over the Kneadatite, use the latter as a modifier of the former - say 20% maybe.

I\'d recommend you try MagicSculp or Aves Apoxie Sculpt which are similar and both really nice to work with. I think overall I prefer MS but Apoxie Sculpt is softer during use but harder when set (as far as I can tell so far).

Einion

i use miliput and gs 50/50 mix and that works quite nicely. brownstuff is a bit rubbery to sculpt with but set about the same as the gs/miliput mix (maybe a little stronger).

Ok then, thnaks.
    I will take all this into account and see what happens.

go to your local hardware store and ask for 2-part plumbers epoxy. They should have a product that comes in tubes with the outside one color and the inside another color. They are made for various purposes and there should be about a dozen different ones. Each one is slightly different - longer drying time, harder end result, softer, more maliable etc.
    buy a bunch and decide what you like.
    Tons cheaper than green stuff and basically the same stuff.

Sweet.
    Thanks a heap.

trouble is that a lot of that stuff is really toxic and kinda grim to work with. i have tried a few and they STINK. also are really difficult to wash off your hand and irritants (you really need gloves to work with some)

That\'s true freak, some of them smell like Nair :( I\'ve never found one with a decent working time either, although a fast-setting putty like this can be useful for doing quick jobs where you don\'t want to hang around (or to speed up the setting time of another putty).

Einion