painting sessions...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: painting sessions...

Default painting sessions...

I want to be more productive with my painting sessions and it is hard to keep motivated.

Just out of curiosity, when you folks paint, do you...

Have a \'marathon-esque\' session, where you just sit and paint until you cannot stand it anymore. (This seems to be the one I go with, but I also noticed I have less and less of these sessions, and it takes more to get me \'motivated\' to want to do it.)

OR do you Give yourself a set amount of time. Say one hour per night, that you can devote to your minis.

(it seems this may be actually more productive...less burn out, look forward to the sessions, etc...)

Bit of both I\'m afraid.

Unfortunately I don\'t get many opportunities to burn the candle at both ends. I get more short spurts - either a short period before bed or a short period after breakfast. Then I either have to sleep or go to work.

Well I just paint when I feel like it. I have a paint station in my room. So it\'s easy to just grab a brush and paint. So somtimes I paint for 10 minutes, other times for 6 hours. ( check out 97570 for my ltest 6H mini :P). But I always stop if I get bored.
    I also have weeks were I paint a lot and somtimes I can go for months without painting. Curently I\'m in a lots of painting moment. So I get around 2-3 hours per day of painting.

Wolf_Fang

i paint when ever i feel like it or have a mental / emosional break down.... the real problem arises when i dont have a mini to paint... last night only had 1 mini to paint and did it then got all screwy... kinna felt what i imagine itd feel like to go off crack cold turkey... couldnt think strait and NEEDED to paint something... unfortunately it was 2 am by that time lol

Well I am addicted to the painting and the minis are the vehicle to drive my addiction :D..
    I paint every night I start multiple minis and thus different moods are suited less painters block, I paint on weekends also if I wake early it is quite like at the late night here so I paint then too. I do the Pablo\'s dog thing to my chores/work get it done so I can paint. With the job I have i think all day about what I am going to do then get my crap done at home and ... yep... paint.
    The whole family paints though so it is not a conflict here, we sit talk giggle and help each other, good times, good music. We paint at least 6 hours a night Becca is the regular at the most nights, I continue after they sleep and house is quiet.
    The only time I suffered block was doing commission painting I took 2 hours for that work and then 2 hours for my own that was hard and confining to me. I am done so I feel let out of jail.
    I am again thrilled. I will try to not again take painting what I want to how I want to for granted:flip:

I think I tend toward the \"marathon\" style, but I do find that I only paint when I really feel like it. For the most part, I like to have at least two hours open if I\'m going to paint, just in case I get sucked into doing it and don\'t want to stop. I hate starting to get into the swing of things and then realizing that I have to stop to keep on some sort of schedule. As a result, the only times I usually end up painting is after work if I have no plans whatsoever for the night, or on weekends when I have a 4 hour block or so that\'s free.

EDIT - While the \"set\" time idea seems like it may keep you more motivated and focused, I think my personality is too obsessive to really do just one hour of painting a night. :D

I just paint whenever i want. I find it most productive to paint set aside an set amount of time a day/week to paint.

my way of painting is near to frenchkid\'s one, even if i rarely paint for more then a couple of hours without breaks... easier to paint 15 mins 8 times a day :D

Luca

Wolf_Fang

Originally posted by darkartminiatures
    I paint until my eyes go funny :o
    i do that too! lol

Originally posted by Wolf_Fang
    the real problem arises when i dont have a mini to paint...
    Excuse me? Say that again? \"Don\'t have a mini to paint\"? ??? Unheard of.

Frenchkid pretty much nailed my style too. I paint when I want to. Same desk as the computer desk, but a wireless keyboard and LCD monitor make sure there\'s plenty of room, so I just shove it all aside and paint till I\'ve had enough. The problem is, the gf and the studies mean it doesn\'t happen all too much.

Wolf_Fang

Originally posted by Modderrhu
    Originally posted by Wolf_Fang
    the real problem arises when i dont have a mini to paint...
    Excuse me? Say that again? \"Don\'t have a mini to paint\"? ??? Unheard of.

Frenchkid pretty much nailed my style too. I paint when I want to. Same desk as the computer desk, but a wireless keyboard and LCD monitor make sure there\'s plenty of room, so I just shove it all aside and paint till I\'ve had enough. The problem is, the gf and the studies mean it doesn\'t happen all too much.
    i swear its happened to me quiet a few times.....lol

Default as much as possible...

I usually paint for extended periods of time (3 hours to 15 hours) with only breaks to stretch, eat, washroom, or quick check of email (or any calls I may get).

THe thing is, single, living at home... so I have the time. WOrk, work out, any shopping have to do for home, then paint. Right now will be taking a week off soon to paint my dinosaur, in which I hope to cover 12 to 15 hour days of painting. I have to to get this thing done.

However, as some mentioned, it appears they have less time. if you have a family, etc of course that will happen. I think it\'s key to try and make time, and hopefully spouse has own hobbies so they understand the need to do something quietly alone as well.

For me, I have a different reason. I NEED to paint. I used to feel very depressed...and at time wish i wasn\'t even born. D&D, painting made me feel good. So when friends were available, I\'d pull out some D&D game book and go over it, or try painting..however, back then all i\'d do is coat each section one colour..and done and since I was always sad, I wouldn\'t paint again for another year...so 1 or 2 days/year don\'t help much :( ...which is why I consider myself only really painting for less than 2 years, since that\'s when i started actually trying to paint, other than a basic coat.

Hopefully when I meet someone, they understand the need I have to continue painting, and learning to sculpt, etc. Of course, won\'t be able to do 12 hour marathon sessions except maybe once/twice a year, but even a few hours every 2 weeks would be nice to try for...

Sanjay :D

I try to enter competitions and such to help with the motivation to finish things. As a side effect, the competitions tend to push me into trying new things and make that extra effort to make the minis look the best I can achieve.

Another thing I have found useful is to paint during the night when everything is quiet (like TAB does). Those nocturnal sessions are usually my most productive. I have a job that is sometimes quite stressful, which sometimes leads to periods of insomnia for me. I tend to use these occasions for painting. I can\'t sleep anyway so I might just as well paint away until I litterally fall asleep out of sheer exhaustion... :)

Default actually....

With regards to how people spend time in their paint sessions...how many of you are married w/ kids and still manage to paint each day? (I don\'t mean kids who are now 16+ and can technically manage to stay home alone without you for a while, but I mean newly weds or very young kids?)

Sanjay

Girlfriend, no kids...

sebrushworth

I\'ve been married a year and have an 8 month old son. I\'m a full time dad right now (start working again in two months) so I have quite a lot of time to paint.

I usually set a task for myself before each painting session, and then keep painting until it\'s done. Sometimes, I feel so in to it that I keep painting even after the task is done. Usually my painting sessions last between 1-2 hours. I don\'t like to sit down and paint if I don\'t have at least an hour free to do it.

sebrushworth

Woohoo! That was my 100th post. I\'m not a junior member any more! :)

Yep, married with a 4.5 month old baby boy. I\'m currently a full time student so i have plently of time in the summer holidays :) That reminds me...i better do some studying :(

Originally posted by sebrushworth
    I have an 8 month old son. I\'m a full time dad right now... so I have quite a lot of time to paint.
    Dude,

I thought you were going to say... \"So consequently have very little time to paint\"
    How\'d you manage that?
    You\'re not slipping whiskey into his bottle are you?!!:D