Scariest room... ever

Thread: Scariest room... ever

Default Scariest room... ever

If you\'re a DM, what\'s the scariest room you ever put together? If you\'re a player what\'s the scariest room you ever stumbled into?

Mine would be when i put a mimic (as a cauldron) over a rod of fire (so it looked like an endless fire burning). It was bubbling a smoke that put creatures to sleep within 10 feet of it, but the floor was in bad enough shape that if you tipped it over the liquid would drain away and you\'d be ok. Well, after ALMOST falling prey to the smoke a few times, they finally (and quiet cleverly) drained the mimic who now was grappleing the group\'s fighter. Meanwhile the 2 orcs and 1 troll who\'d been put to sleep by the mimic woke up and the troll happened to be immune to the fire (something about the wizard who built the tower they were in had troll body guards that he\'d made them immune to magic... heck, i don\'t even remember the specifics) and started flinging that around. Plus the orcs getting pretty much free shots on the party. They cleared the room and got the rod, but had taken a beating and almost died on bad rolls trying to figure out how to turn off the fire... they knew it was magical fire since the troll was playing with it, but still needed to learn how to turn it on and off.

As I am usually DM, I put together more scary rooms than the others...

One time, our heros were walking through a forest when they were suddenly attacked from above. Well, those soldiers jumped on them from the trees.... the attackers at once recognized them as being no threat and told them they were very sorry. They invited the heros to sit around their bonfire. Then they told about themselves.... they were soldiers of the first heavy infantry batallion and they are guarding this forest against the enemy army of that traitor Borbarad. At this moment the heros took a close rlook at the soldiers\' armours and noticed that they have never seen this coat of arms. Except in books. And Borbarad died years ago.
    Those soldiers were dead, but trapped on their guard post. They never received th eorders to leave their post and then were killed by the enemy and two demons that accompanied them.
    Of course, the heros didn\'t know this. They just saw, out of the corner of their eyes, how one of the soldiers was bleeding heavily and a large axe stuck in his back, completely penetrating the armour. turning their heads, the vision stopped and he looked alright. Then they noticed how the soldiers would talk about generals and nobility noone ever heard about, and when asked, the soldiers could not remember how long they actually were stationed here.
    Then one hero decided to tell one of the soldiers about the axe in his back and what that was.
    Well, the soldier was gone. He was just simply gone. Asked about that the other soldiers started reminiscing about him and how he died when a cavalryman bashed an axe in his back. He died long ago and never sat here at this fire with us...
    The heroes loved it. They were completely weirded out, completely baffled, but they loved it. In the end, they redeemed the soldiers when the knight forged an order for them to return home.

Then there was this old lady who lived in the forest, all alone by herself. Her husband died years ago and was buried in her back yard. The old woman took care of a badly wounded man the heros wanted to help through the forest. They could never see him (the old lady kept him in a room where he could heal without people constantly getting on his nerves), the old lady was pretty strange because she seldomly went to the next village and her dead husband in the back yard wasn\'t helping with \"normalizing\" the place either :D She didn\'t do anything \"evil\", but the heros constantly were on edge because they couldn\'t go away (the sick guy wasn\'t well enough for that) and didn\'t want to attack an old lady just out of simple fear :D It was really nice to watch them squirm :D

Unlit cave with a couple of harmless insects. Player\'s torches didn\'t lit the space well enough to really see what just brushed their boots. They got frightened and spend a few hours trying to get through the cave. Imagination can be a scary thing. :)

Bye, Ming-Hua

An ancient ruin, with murals on the walls of people being tortured and mutilated. We found a little goblin-like creature in a room stuck in a torture device. When we tried to let him out he just cackled at us and continued to activate the torture device. And the floor was covered with sticky half-dried blood - even though it was obvious no one had been there for centuries except for the masochistic goblin. :|~

My bedroom wins. Hands down.

Trust me on this. I am not enclosing pictures.

Originally posted by Naukhel
    My bedroom wins. Hands down.

Trust me on this. I am not enclosing pictures.
    I\'m pretty sure mine has yours beat. However, you\'ll just have to take my word for it. ;)

NecroN

Default Paranoia superhighway

Zipping along at a brisk 500KM your grav bus screetched to a halt. You are in the middle of a 1K wide hall, the ground is laticed with brightly glowing blue electromagnetic electricity. You don\'t have any idea what the voltage is but you can feel your hair starting to stand up now. Other grav vehicles carreen around your bus and zip by speeds reaching 1000K. You mission breifing starts in 10 minutes, what do you do?

... Typical ZAP/ZAP situation... gotta love paranoia!

NecroN

Default a few times.

Originally posted by Itchy
    Die?
    Yep, 6 times to be exact.

This was the point the con game got to described in the PC death thread.

It wasn\'t the scariest per se, but definitely troublesome (for the PCs) in the past...

A dungeon desinged by Gnomes (the whole party was Elven or Human). A true dungeon crawl. lol

A 3-d dungeon, carved out of the earth by beholder\'s desentegrate rays. Plus the beholders were controlled by Drow, who placed anti-magic zones hidden in the tunnels. The beholders could float w/o problem, the drow could levitate (and knew how to circumvent the anti-magic zones), but the PCs in plate mail...well, 120 feet is a long way down.

I had a room with a 30\' ceiling and a wall lever that raised a portal, which hid a riddle.
    Every time they pulled the lever down, they got 30 seconds (real time) to see the riddle. After that (or anytime the riddle was spoken aloud) the floor would raise 5\'. Everytime they called out an incorrect answer, scorpions were released from the roof.

NecroN

Default More a trap then a room.

This one finished off one of my PCs in a D&D game years ago.

The players were basically being jerks and messing up everything the DM had laid out for the day (going the wrong way, ignoring leads, killing important npcs, the usuall D&D messing things up). Sick of this he decided to show us two traps in the next dungeon. The first one was great but not scary (will feature elsewhere or later if requested) the second was horrible;

We were walking down a hall, Thief fails a find traps roll and we walk onto the usual pit trap. But it wasn\'t the usual pit trap. You fell for forever and could never see bottom, we fell for half an hour and never found bottom. Then we fell for days, then we died of starvation.

Frustrated with this we questioned the DM - he pulled out a nicely detailed drawing of a trap he was saving for a con some day.

You fell in the pit and fell X (don\'t remember how much) feet, then you hit a teleporter that teleported you back to the top and you fell some more ad infinitum.

The less deadly way to play it is to have only some PCs fall in and have the other players try to \'catch\' the trapped ones as they teleported back by the top.

Originally posted by NecroN
    This one finished off one of my PCs in a D&D game years ago.

The players were basically being jerks and messing up everything the DM had laid out for the day (going the wrong way, ignoring leads, killing important npcs, the usuall D&D messing things up). Sick of this he decided to show us two traps in the next dungeon. The first one was great but not scary (will feature elsewhere or later if requested) the second was horrible;

We were walking down a hall, Thief fails a find traps roll and we walk onto the usual pit trap. But it wasn\'t the usual pit trap. You fell for forever and could never see bottom, we fell for half an hour and never found bottom. Then we fell for days, then we died of starvation.

Frustrated with this we questioned the DM - he pulled out a nicely detailed drawing of a trap he was saving for a con some day.

You fell in the pit and fell X (don\'t remember how much) feet, then you hit a teleporter that teleported you back to the top and you fell some more ad infinitum.

The less deadly way to play it is to have only some PCs fall in and have the other players try to \'catch\' the trapped ones as they teleported back by the top.
    Ah, \'The Pit of Everfall\'. I remember that module. I used it on a party. PC\'s always have rope, but never actually use it...

A good Web spell and a free movement spell are best for catching people. Or yourself if you have the spells.