Ranking for Top Artists change from 50 votes each to 25?

Blackmane

Hi,

The Ranking for Top Artists is currently from 50 votes per entry;

How are the rankings on the Top 50 Artist list calculated?
1. From each artist, we take the Top 5 pictures (with more than 50 votes each)

2. We average the top 5, giving the artist an average score.

3. We then rank all the artists on the site against each other using this score, producing the rankings.

You may have realised that this means that there is no advantage to removing lower scoring pictures from the site, since only your top 5 pictures are used to calculate your rank.

I would suggest that this is changed from 50 votes down to 25 as it is unusual now for regular ability artists to achieve the 50 votes figure! Considering that in the last 10 years my votes generally achieve 35 votes from 46 entries in that 10 year period.

nels0nmac

Hi,

I would suggest that this is changed from 50 votes down to 25 as it is unusual now for regular ability artists to achieve the 50 votes figure! Considering that in the last 10 years my votes generally achieve 35 votes from 46 entries in that 10 year period.

Unfortunately for the vast majority of also-rans i.e. all but the best painters, the voting/ranking system is broken and has been for a long time. The last time one of my minis received >50 votes was back in 2015. Dropping the number of votes required to affect ranking will increase the opportunity for your ranking to be improved, but also makes it easier for people to up-vote their own minis and skew the results. If the sample of people voting is too small, aberrations in the result will occur either up or down.

The fact is that society has moved on an there are not enough people out there willing to spend time on voting when they can 'enjoy' the endless scroll of Tiktok, Facebook or whatever else takes their fancy. I gave up long ago expecting to have anything change my rating or really worry about what score I achieved. I still post images of my work, partly so that I have an online record of what I have done but also because sometime I use the vast library of peoples work for inspiration of how to paint my own minis. By posting my own work it just adds to the collection that someone else might find useful.

nels0nmac

Seeing as this thread has been up for a week, and I have been the only one to respond, kinda gives it away that no one gives a damn about this these days - sad, but true. Threads like this have popped up since around 2015 when voting tailed off, and absolutely nothing has been done to try and change it in the time between then and now. The site and ranking only works for the elite few who can get on 'Best last 7 days' or who have patreon followers who will vote for their work. For the rest of us it's a nice library of other peoples work which may or may not inspire us.

Chern Ann

Only when they're green
Staff member
As you can see, we've been busy on a complete site revamp and it took longer than expected. There's going to be much more promotion on the site soon after we work out all the kinks, but please keep the feedback coming.

nels0nmac

I noticed that the rankings have disappeared for now. Is this a permanent change or something that is being worked on? Also, not that it really bothers me, but I have noticed that some of the scores for my entries have dropped in relation to what they were before the update? Not sure why that would be unless you have some new algorithm at work, and strange that it appears to be only on some entries and not all. Or at least only noticeable on some.

Chern Ann

Only when they're green
Staff member
Only registered votes are counted now - the old data is stored but previous anonymous voting no longer has any bearing on the site.

The artist's ranking was creating a weird dynamic due to the age of the site and the number of entries. We'll be focusing instead on integrating more tightly online and offline competitions into the site like Crystal Brush.