Vidocq

Flashman14

What do you get when you cross Sherlock Holmes, Edgar Allen Poe, Jack the Ripper, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, steam punk, Hong Kong fight choreography and moody Franco-Gothic design?

You get a damn fine inspiration for a Victorian Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror game.

This French language film is called Vidocq and stars Gerard Depardieu. Despite some very poor CGI in places there is an excellent mystery set in an alternate Paris of the 1830\'s. It contains elements of all the above genres and coalesces into a fantastically designed world with danger, the macbre and the perverse all in one fast paced action bonanza.

Once more it\'s a terrific resource for scenarios and ideas for current VSF games and worlds. Even Rackham I think a tiny bit was influenced to a degree (see the Lions - Reapers of Alahan)

I wish I had a link to tell you more about it but it\'s only (officially) a French DVD release .. however your hipper comic book stores or conventions, asian movie import stores, or even Ebay may have it ...

(I posted this on other sites becasue I\'m so stoked to have seen it ... it\'s really impressive...)

LordofthePit

Yes I loved Vidocq too.
I also think has the confrontation(especially Hybrid) atmosphere. I just haven\'t noticed the poor CGI, but I only saw it once so I was just too impressed with the way the whole movie looked to notice... have to see it again sometime.
(also there\'s a very cool Apocalyptica clip on the DVD which almost makes it worth buying it)

Tuubje

Loved the movie, the french have a knack for making atmospheric movies with crappy cgi *cough*pacte des loups*cough*, but i still love those movies :D

frenchkid

Originally posted by Tuubje
Loved the movie, the french have a knack for making atmospheric movies with crappy cgi *cough*pacte des loups*cough*, but i still love those movies :D

lol, quit true, but that was a great movie never the less. :D Haven\'t seen vidocq yet though, I\'ll think about it next time I have a movie to rent :D And for those of you who like to here fun facts, it\'s the first movie ever to be filmed with just digital camera :D

Greymane

Pacte des loupe...
This movie is fantastic(fantastique?)

I watch it in French without subtitles and still enjoy it. That incidentally is not a dig at the French Language but rather the fact that I am English and don\'t do Languages ( a fact that I am neither arrogant about or proud of especially when everyone no matter their native tongue seems to speak or write better English than I):)

Mike